Unusual Kent-Coffey

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Autumn Miller, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Autumn Miller

Autumn Miller New Member

I am debating purchasing this antique (pics attached). I would like to know more about it though first. Their price seems incredibly reasonable for a Kent-Coffey; but since this is not a typical Kent-Coffey, I don't know if that makes the piece more or less valuable. Based on the style of this trademark/Brand-Stamp on the ad, I was able to find the trademark registration for the traditional Kent-Coffey circle logo dated 1954(also attached); so I am guessing that this piece predates that, and it does not match any of their mid-century product lines. What I would like to know is:
    Has anyone here seen any Kent-Coffey like this before?
    Does anyone have any idea what the value range of this piece may be?
    9D12EC3C-7037-47A1-9EA4-903233E9EB88.jpeg 83EE95B0-805C-40A1-8409-937BA65289CD.jpeg B9173237-17C6-4DBC-90C4-C38331FC3C40.jpeg

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Autumn Miller, I am just curious but . . . in your second photo is there a "word" above the "________ From ________" in that photo?

3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I had one of these that was just the center part, with the 2 drawers but I lost a drawer pull transporting it home. Taught me to check the hardware for stability before simply loading up a piece of furniture.

4. antidiem

Mine was STRIPPED when I bought it at a garage sale. Twenty years later I resold it without the pull and still stripped for $40 bucks and felt fortunate to get that for it.

You didn't mention their asking price, and I don't know where, so hard to say the value. If *I* was younger and really wanted it, I'd pay $250 for it.

Price depends upon LOCATION and my areas no longer support antique furniture as a valuable commodity. That being said, I have both sold and rented out antiques to movie companies who paid the maximum amount I could have ever imagined getting for an antique piece such as this. Otherwise, if it comes to live with your family, maybe one of your children or relatives will love it as you do. I love it too! :cat:

5. Autumn Miller

Autumn Miller New Member

Yes, it seems there's a word there. I have not gone to see this piece in person yet, so I am unsure if that word will be any clearer in person.

6. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Thanks, Autumn Miller.

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  7. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome! :)
    Had I had a daughter I would’ve lobbied to name her Autumn. Have always loved that name.:)

Christmasjoy and Autumn Miller like this.
  8. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

You should read the recent thread about Conant Ball. I think this is similar - the Kent-Coffey furniture that is in relatively high demand and sells for a lot is the mid-century style furniture. This is not MCM style, and therefore far lower demand and significantly lower prices.

9. antidiem

Interesting that MCM was manufactured by the same company! LOL

KingofThings likes this.
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree with Jeff. Compare this to other 20s buffets of similar quality and condition. The brand is of little consequence in this case.

antidiem likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted