Featured Unusual jacket find! Is this a early MAC tools logo? Or a carpenter's union jacket?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by journeymagazine, Jan 29, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at my local thrift store a while back; I have a rolling rack of cool /vintage jackets I've picked up, so when I hung this one to check later it hot lost/forgotten until a customer at my estate/garage sale found it & asked me about it. Since I wasn't sure I didn't sell it for the $20 they offered me!

Can anyone tell me what this jacket represents? MAC tools? Carpenter's Union?

PS - Both artwork on front & back are embroidered.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

CLOTHES JACKET MAC TOOLS LUMBER BUILDING 1AA.jpg CLOTHES JACKET MAC TOOLS LUMBER BUILDING 2AA.jpg CLOTHES JACKET MAC TOOLS LUMBER BUILDING 3AA.jpg CLOTHES JACKET MAC TOOLS LUMBER BUILDING 3AAA.jpg CLOTHES JACKET MAC TOOLS LUMBER BUILDING 7AA.jpg CLOTHES JACKET MAC TOOLS LUMBER BUILDING 8AA.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Have an RN?

Debora

pearlsnblume and ulilwitch like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Think it may have nothing to do with the construction industry. Found Identity, Inc. in the 1993 Recording Industry Sourcebook. Located at 1446 Broadway, Suite 1610, NYC 10036.

Debora

pearlsnblume and ulilwitch like this.
  4. journeymagazine

I thought it was a old fashion barn raising(?) - where neighbors came to help someone build a barn?
    I'll send them pics with a request for help - thank you Debora!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Erecting a wall of sound perhaps. They're no longer there. But there is a company in Buffalo now called Identity Inc. doing the same thing. Don't think any connection. (Who moves from Manhattan to Buffalo?!)

Debora

6. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

It looks like Identity Inc is the clothing Mfg Co and the jacket was probably made and given to the Truck drivers of Mac Tool Co. That is just my opinion.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

This is the MAC Tools logo.

Debora

MAC_Tools_Logo.svg.png

pearlsnblume likes this.
  8. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Agree that jacket manufacturer was IDENTITY INC. Possibly, some obscure carpentry/home building company bought jackets and had their logo put on for employees.
    Label style looks quite 80s/90s to me.

From TextileInfoMedia:
    Screenshot (124).png
    Screenshot (123).png

Bakersgma likes this.
  9. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I am with bluumz. Just a construction company owned by Mac. The popular MAC tools are not that old so would not use that saw. But a construction company in the 80"s would. The back embroidery show how a wall is raised once built. been there done that.

bluumz likes this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That is not the MAC logo.

Debora

11. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

mac logo might have been changed at some point

agree that it must be from a construction company

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The MAC logo has evolved a bit but it has not changed substantially. This is from a 1962 catalog.

Debora

Mac Tools Catalog No 62_0000.jpg

13. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

A carpenters' union jacket would almost certainly have a union label in it. Labor supports labor. Could have nothing to do with MAC Tools, just a local construction company - something like Mike Andrews Construction (just to pick names that match the initials). Where was the jacket found? Might check corporation listings for that state.

14. journeymagazine

I googled identity, Inc. and got a Maryland program helping underprivileged and minority youth - maybe back image is building a new/better life?

15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Identity Ink was a NYC Garment District importer or, perhaps, manufacturer. Asking again... Is there a RN tag?

Debora

16. journeymagazine

Sorry - no.

17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Country of origin?

Debora

18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Here's the company's RN. It confirms company name and address.

Debora

m_63bc66f917e49c671046f6a9.jpg

journeymagazine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted