Featured Unusual item! Porcelain brush washer and holder?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Louise88, Mar 26, 2022.

1. Louise88

Louise88 Well-Known Member

Any idea what this is? I can only find one other and it was described as an antique brush washer and holder...

IMG_20220326_201219-min-min.jpg

Screenshot_20220326-201805_eBay-min.jpg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Not what I'd have thought either. Flower frog would have been my guess.

3. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

I can see how it could work as a brush washer, which makes me think there is some truth in it being so

Louise88 likes this.
  4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I am not convinced this is antique. The base looks way to clean and white to have such age. Perhaps it's not really this clean and just looks that way in your photograph?

I doubt this is a brush washer, does it look to have ever been used as such with paint or ink inside? There isn't enough room to hold enough fluid to wash a brush and the wider rim may make it tippy.

IMHO, this looks more like a late 20th century student ceramics piece for a course project to combine wheel throwing with hand-built structure in a clay piece. I think it can definitely be used as a flower frog.

kyratango likes this.
  5. Matahari

Matahari Well-Known Member

not convinced either ( not even remotely ) would go for antidiems theory ,
    this in too much fun to wash and how do you hold brushes ?
    Charlie I'm curious scratch.png

just learnt what a flower "frog" is/ was :)

which I can't imagine either as there is no depth ( daisies ? )

antidiem likes this.
  6. antidiem

Yes that's the problem for either scenario. It just looks like a student project with nice colored glaze on the outside to me.

Is the bottom as CLEAN as it looks, @Louise88 ?

7. Matahari

Matahari Well-Known Member

c.19th-antique chinese porcelain brush washer & holder
    seems like any recipient will do to wash brushes

xcxc.png

8. Louise88

Louise88 Well-Known Member

It is pretty clean which is what made me question the eBay listing, but I haven't owned any c.19th-antique chinese porcelain brush washer to compare, just felt like it was a bit more modern. I liked how unusual it was so was a bit suprised to see another one albeit in a different colour.

20220326_161741-min.jpg
    20220326_161724-min.jpg

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

THe back just plain doesn't look old to me either. It might be a new copy of a really old one but the base just looks wrong.

10. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Not sure about age either, not saying it's a brush holder too.

But looks like it would be good for cleaning clogged brushes, where the inside edges would almost scrape the paint off the brush

It's a cool looking thing !

Louise88 likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I suspect it's a studio pottery version.

charlie cheswick likes this.
  12. antidiem

@Matahari , the one you have listed at 264 is the same one shown in OP's photos, and the other 2 are nothing like the first, so that does not achieve more information regarding this "brush washer" thank you but I don't believe this is a brush washer but rather a recent student ceramic piece.

BoudiccaJones likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted