Unusual ginger jar

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Miscstuff, Oct 29, 2021.

1. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Auctioneers said it was cloisonne but it looks to be a kind of champleve made of brass and constructed in two pieces that on first impression were crudely brazed together rather than soldered as the joint material has a golden colour. It is an unusual thing in that it doesn't have quite the standard "Asian cloisonne/champleve" style I would expect from a ginger jar and colouration is odd too. Maybe it has faded over the years. Think it might be some kind of cold painted item rather than enameled. Your thoughts and knowledge on it would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    Data 2.34Kg, 26cm High, 19.5cm Diameter

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg
    6.jpg
    7.jpg
    8.jpg
    9.jpg
    10.JPG

Any Jewelry, komokwa and judy like this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

These were new in the 1990's, used to be able to get them in various stores. As far as I recall the enamel is fired onto the surface not just cold painted, probably a low temp firing. The enamel was painted onto the surface which had the features already etched. So it is neither champleve nor cloisonne, just enamelled metal ware.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I seem to remember these were made in India. Pretty, but not old, as Ce said.

4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Yes, I had forgotten that, you are quite right, made in India.

judy, Boland and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Right now they're "just for pretty", but in 20 years who knows.

judy likes this.
  6. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Agreed India. Just decorative.Also get similar candlesticks 26AB9A98-1F33-4F9A-8385-5CD08DDC39CD.jpeg

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You never know. I like the style, it looks Art Deco-ish inspired. The soft tones and the soft, almost waxy look of the enamel are also nice.