Unusual Delft Markings

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Chad1234, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Chad1234

Chad1234 Active Member

Hi everyone.

I just recently bought this wall charger at the dump. Literally saved it from the rubbish tip.

Anyways while the picture is fairly common (Rembrandt as Officer) the markings on the back are different to everything else I've seen.

I spent all day sunday and half a day saturday trying to find this mark.

I believe it is handpainted as it says as there are a couple of fingerprints on the back.

The sticker (Lucie Kleikamp) seems to have been once a gift/antique shop in holland but i can't find any reference to this.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone in advance.

Sorry it's not allowing me to upload pics of the front regardless of how i edit them. Keeps sayong they're too big

Attached Files:

2. Chad1234

Chad1234 Active Member

Ok this is driving me nuts. Have uploaded pic of front of plate to my avatar if this helps.

Thanks again

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Chad.
    I have found some info on the giftshop in Sittard. It was founded in 2013 and only lasted for a few years. The reason for this could be that the gifts she sold were of the 'Olde Worlde' souvenir type, and Sittard doesn't get many tourists.
    She never sold antiques, only gifts/souvenirs. There is now a men's wear shop at the address.
    Sittard is a nice provincial town in Limburg, in the southeastern panhandle of the Netherlands, close to the border with Germany. It is not in Holland, which is in the west of the Netherlands.;)

The recent date of the start of the shop also tells us something about the date of your charger. It looks like a very recent piece, manufactured in the Netherlands, but probably not in Delft.
    The spelling of Delfts is significant. They spell it Delft's, whereas the word 'Delfts' is without the apostrophe. This is a way to say it is in the style of Delfts, but it isn't made in Delft.
    I have seen a crown mark on Delft style pieces from Gouda.

upload_2021-3-16_12-47-11.jpeg

The text below Holland is: Rembrandt as an officer 1635, Hand made, and the initials of the painter, HvR. The v stands for van, a part of many Dutch names.
    The painting is also known as 'Portrait of a Man with a Plumed Beret'.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  4. Chad1234

Chad1234 Active Member

Wow. Thanks so much.
    I am of dutch descent myself but never occured to me the v was van.
    The word Holland is put there for the english speakers and having the rest in dutch just made no sense to me.

Tourist piece make perfect sense. It's in extremely good condition however some one bought it in the Netherlands and brought it all the way to Australia.

Still i think it's fantastic and i saved it from landfill.

Thanks again.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is the way we often use it in the Netherlands. Someone called, say, van Gogh would write it as v. Gogh.:) There is also v.d., for instance the surname van de Broek would be written v.d. Broek.
    You did a good job, wherever it was made it deserves to be enjoyed.

KikoBlueEyes, Aquitaine and Chad1234 like this.
  6. Chad1234

Chad1234 Active Member

Thanks so much.

I've always loved the delft style.

I remember my aunt had a coffee grinder in delft on the wall for years and tiles and plates etc.

I felt it's about time i restarted collecting delft and delft style pieces.

I will definitely come here when i need advice.

THIS PLACE IS AWESOME!!!

KikoBlueEyes and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted