Unusual as I think? 1864 German book on Jewish history "granted" by trust to promote Christianity!

Discussion in 'Books' started by journeymagazine, May 23, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Looking through a drawer of antique books I have (and had forgotten about) I found this one: Geschichte des volkes israel vos Heinrich Ewald (something like - The history of the Jewish people) printed in 1864.

The unusual thing - I thought - was a label inside the front cover that this book was granted(?) to a Joseph Estin by the Hibbert Trustees on Dec 3, 1869

Googling The Hibbert Trust I found it was a trust to promote Christianity?

Googling the book's title I wasn't able to find another edition for sale, but I found a website that you could read it because it had been reproduced from the original - but it also said this about the book:

This work has been selected by scholars as being culturally important, and is part of the knowledge base of civilization as we know it. This work was reproduced from the original artifact, and remains as true to the original work as possible. Therefore, you will see the original copyright references, library stamps (as most of these works have been housed in our most important libraries around the world), and other notations in the work. This work is in the public domain in the United States of America, and possibly other nations. Within the United States, you may freely copy and distribute this work, as no entity (individual or corporate) has a copyright on the body of the work. As a reproduction of a historical artifact, this work may contain missing or blurred pages, poor pictures, errant marks, etc. Scholars believe, and we concur, that this work is important enough to be preserved, reproduced, and made generally available to the public. We appreciate your support of the preservation process, and thank you for being an important part of keeping this knowledge alive and relevant.

So being that this book is "culturally important" and I can't find another for sale + the Hibbert Trustees sticker - it's an interesting book, right?

Any info, thoughts, etc. would be appreciated - is it as rare as it seems? would you put it on eBay? A book auction?

Thank you.

BOOK GERMAN BOOK ON JEWISH HISTORY EZRA 1AA.JPG BOOK GERMAN BOOK ON JEWISH HISTORY EZRA 1CAA.JPG BOOK GERMAN BOOK ON JEWISH HISTORY EZRA 2AA.JPG BOOK GERMAN BOOK ON JEWISH HISTORY EZRA 3AAA.JPG BOOK GERMAN BOOK ON JEWISH HISTORY EZRA 5AA.JPG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure "granted" in this context means "given." Joseph's surname is actually Carpenter, not that it matters.

Born2it and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

And his middle name is Estlin, with an l after the t.;)

Bakersgma likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Born2it likes this.
  5. journeymagazine

Yes I figured that! And maybe not as unusual being a german book about the jewish history because so far before hitler - but it struck me as...well, unusual!

6. journeymagazine

Is this a rare/valuable book? Asking because I couldn't find a early one like mine for sale + the comments I copied & put in original question about the book:

This work has been selected by scholars as being culturally important, and is part of the knowledge base of civilization as we know it.

AND

you will see the original copyright references, library stamps (as most of these works have been housed in our most important libraries around the world)

I'm wondering if I should put on eBay or try for a book/better type auction? (Can't believe this (and the other books including 1st American edition of War of the Worlds + some others) have been sitting in a drawer in my dresser forgotten!
    Thank you
    PS - A pic I took of some of the books to send to the guy who answered my estate sale/garage sale FB post asking if I had antique books - and made me remember them.
    PSS - I also found a early Rolling Stones + a couple early Beatles 45rpm records (w/sleeves!) in that drawer, too!

BOOK A GROUP ANTIQUE BOOKS IN DRAWER 1AA.JPG

Born2it likes this.
  7. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

Translation from a friend of mine who lived in Germany for many years:
    “History of the people of Israel

By Heinrich Ewald

Volume four

Third printing

(Published in)

Gottingen in...

I'm not confident about Dieterischen Buchhandlung. Buchhandlung generally means bookstore, but it might refer to a publisher here.

Ezra's and the Holy Reign in Israel until Christ.

(I don't pretend to make sense of this part, sorry. It's possible that it's supposed to be Ezra's People of Israel and the Holy Reign... but it looks weirdly juxtaposed either way)”

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. journeymagazine

Thank you that helps a lot!

Born2it likes this.
  9. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

Folks here have been a lifesaver while I was trying to clean out the family house, I’m not above calling in favors to try and pay it forward!

pearlsnblume and Figtree3 like this.
  10. 2manycats

2manycats Well-Known Member

That "culturally appropriate" language is boilerplate used by POD (print-on-demand) hucksters who are trying to sell public domain material. While sometimes true, it's hyperbole and in no way indicative of a book's historical or scholarly merit. They scan old books in libraries (or use others' scans) and clog on-line bookselling sites with the results.

Not too unusual for Christian organizations to be interested in Jewish history, and witness modern Fundamentalists who are strong supporters of Israel.

A badly-stained later printing of an odd volume of a German religious history is unlikely to be of value to a book collector, particularly if the text is elsewise available.

Bakersgma and Figtree3 like this.
  11. journeymagazine

You may be right - I guess I'll just have to find someone else like me to like it! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted