Featured Unusual Antique Pickle Jar

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 15Stiftgasse, Dec 13, 2021.

1. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

Sorry to pester you guys again, but I've been racking my brains about this one.

It's a Batty and Co. pickle jar - possibly late 19th or very early 20th century - which has been then fitted in a protective metal frame, which, according to the marks, is probably plated and originates in Vienna. Very unusual.

I was wondering if this was perhaps made for an affluent person with a pickle passion !?

Any other ideas ??????

Thanks !

643_-1290290238.jpg 643_-344927573.jpg 643_713744783.jpg 643_2039471239.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's wonderful....so expressive !!!!

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

If I try to enlarge a tiny image too much the two programs I use most, will distort it to sometimes unrecognizable.....I don't know if @i need help, has the name down pat or not, but what I'm seeing is MOSTLY what she has.....and I can still be WRONG....it looks like "HEREMANN" ....NO idea what's in the triangular piece after, and the odd shape after that looks more like the FTD florist guy, which I think we will all agree, it's NOT!!!! The bottom image is just to show the distortion when the image is very small & I try to enlarge!!

LABEL ON JAR.jpg

LABEL ON JAR-low_res-scale-3_00x-gigapixel-sharpen-Softness.jpg

judy, 15Stiftgasse and i need help like this.
  5. i need help

EE5EB063-BF32-4504-917A-5CEF6BACECEC.jpeg Here’s a better pic from the link.

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

THAT'S AWESOME!! Which I obviously DIDN'T click on!! AND it IS two "Rs"!! Plus that's a Lion....HA...am waiting for my new eyeglasses....just goes to show I REALLY need them!!!

7. i need help

You do just fine, Aqui! You’re always a BIG help with your enhancements!

8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

not sure what ASI means. some identify it as "Asiatisch Silber", which was sometimes - but rarely - used for Tombak etc..
    I personally think it's Viennese humour and means Asozial.

i need help, judy and 15Stiftgasse like this.
  9. Matahari

Matahari Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="komokwa, it's wonderful....so expressive !!!![/QUOTE]

I completely agree

I've been trying to figure out the "WHY" ... is it to stop the jar escaping ? is it to stop others pilfering ?

héhé.gif

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
    15Stiftgasse, Fid and judy like this.
  10. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

I've just realised that the jar probably contained mustard - as indicated in large letters on the shoulders of the jar - although the company apparently produced pickles as well. Sorry !

11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

from the form it could also be for Mostarda di Frutta (Senffrüchte) which is a Northern Italian speciality and not cheap.

15Stiftgasse likes this.
  12. Matahari

Could you please tell us ALL that is written on the pot, as I've been searching all over and just seen the Royal family crest which means it's possibly english and Royal warrant holders.ie suppliers to the royal household

( Victoria probably spread it on her burgers )

15Stiftgasse likes this.
  13. Matahari

zz bat.png In 1825, George Batty and his wife founded Batty & Co, a condiments manufacturer, at Finsbury Pavement. The company later established a large manufacturing plant in Peckham, which became the United Kingdom's first manufacturing base of H. J. Heinz Company in 1905
    _____
    In 1905 he acquired the Batty & Co factory in Peckham, makers of the renowned Nabob Pickle.

Fid and 15Stiftgasse like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted