Featured Unusual Antique Lacquerware Tea Caddy

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 15Stiftgasse, Dec 23, 2021.

1. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

I've just purchased this very attractive lacquerware tea caddy, which I would love to keep. I find the painted decoration both very attractive and unusual.
    Unfortunately, it has to go. The upper part of the lock is missing - after presumably being forced - and it will be all but impossible to find a suitable replacement. The hinges also appear to be mismatched. Call me Mister Picky, but , as a rule, I avoid collecting items which are incomplete, or as in this case, have significant flaws or damage. Furthermore, every time I look at it, my first thought would be of the broken lock. So - to auction it will go. Probably.
    When it does arrive in the post - about a week from now - I'll have to have a closer look at it.

I would be grateful to hear the philosophy of other collectors in such cases.

Furthermore, any info regarding age and origin would be very much appreciated.

793_-1263212622.jpg 793_-883631465.jpg 793_-73667346.jpg 793_-73667346.jpg 793_1343476789.jpg 793_1444472344.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Keep this one until you find a better.

Buy what gives you pleasure, buy the best you can afford, upgrade your collection as you go along.

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Im very picky as well,but the hing issue could easily be fixed and who cares if the lock doesnt work? You cant see that anyway.Are you sure its not papier mache ? I think its lovely myself.

4. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

Thanks for your comments.
    In the meantime, I've deliberated further. As the payment is due to be made tomorrow, - and the item was sold as having 'wear and tear', but not actually as 'damaged' - I have since emailed the seller to draw attention to the damage and that I regrettably wish to withdraw my offer to buy the item.
    Sorted. Matter closed.

It's Christmas.
    I've had enough hassle for one year !

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Good idea.

15Stiftgasse and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted