Unusual Ancient Style Pot

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by CatintheAttic, Aug 8, 2017.

1. CatintheAttic

CatintheAttic Member

Hello, I'm hoping that someone might be able to shed some light on this very unusual pot. It is made out of some kind of chalkware or plaster material. I estimate it dates to around the late 19th or early 20th century, although it looks much older. It seems to be based on an ancient piece and may even be a piece produced as a souvenir of the Grand Tour - so could be earlier. It is decorated with relief moulded scenes of two men fighting with swords, a pair of fighting lions (?), a man blowing a long curved horn, a pair of hounds attacking a stag, and two elaborate trees. At the top and bottom are raised bands impressed with writing. I think this is either ancient Greek or Latin, but it is hard to make out and I'm not really sure. I'm hoping someone might recognise what this piece is based on, if it is an ancient artefact, maybe from Greece or Italy? Also, can anyone confirm the language round the top and bottom? Any help or other thoughts about age or origin would be very welcome. Thanks, Clare P1350976.JPG P1350977.JPG P1350978.JPG P1350979.JPG P1350980.JPG P1350981.JPG P1350951.JPG

lauragarnet likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted