Unusual 19th Century Indian Wars U.S. Army Canvas Satchel Needing ID - Thanks!

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by KnutzKollect, Mar 19, 2024.

1. KnutzKollect

KnutzKollect Member

I cannot seem to be able to find this exact Satchel anywhere on the net. Made of thick deep tan colored Canvas and all leather lined it measures 18 x 14 inches. it has two leather straps on back one being a later but still early replacement. it has two sectioned compartments inside I feel were made possibly for paperwork so maybe the Satchel Bag is for a Messenger? The Satchel on the front of the flap says, U.S. A. meaning U.S. ARMY and has a black arch on the bottom with a faint U.S. in the middle. when the flap is opened it says, U.S. A. JOHN N. HADZESS. C. K. 44. INF. Also there is an Inspectors Stamp that says, INSPECTED (twice) U.S. P.O.D. Need to know exactly what this Satchel is and its Date and what the writing means especially C. K. 44. INF. ect. Any Help would be Highly Appreciated! Gary K IMG_SATCHEL1.jpg IMG_SATCHEL2.jpg IMG_SATCHEL4.jpg IMG_SATCHEL5.jpg

ulilwitch and komokwa like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

From familysearch.org. Free to join.

Debora

Screenshot 2024-03-19 at 11.56.06 AM.jpeg

4. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

The black "arch" may have been applied to cover something that was written in a semi-circle. I can faintly see some letters. Unless my eyes are seeing what the brain is telling them to see.

5. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Your brain is also telling my eyes that there are letters in the semi circle. I read 'MAIL'

upload_2024-3-19_23-37-27.png

download.jpg

Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
  6. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

POD is Post Office Department

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

8. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Looks like a musette bag.

sabre123 and komokwa like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It would be a musette bag.

Debora

sabre123 and komokwa like this.
  10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Why did you think this had anything to do with the "Indian" wars?

From the internet:
    The 44th Infantry Division was a division of the United States ArmyNational Guard from October 1920 to November 1945, when it was inactivated after Federal Service during World War II. A second 44th Infantry Division existed in the Illinois Army National Guard from 1946 until October 1954, when that division was disbanded after federal service during the Korean War.
    Originally named the 44th Division, it was constituted on 19 October 1920 as a National Guarddivision, as a result of the National Defense Act of 1920's major expansion of the National Guard.[1][2]: 374  As originally conceived, the division was to consist of National Guard units from the States of Delaware, New Jersey and New York, and was to form part of the Second Corps Area. However, only individual members of the division staff, and not any whole units, ended up being assigned to the state of Delaware. The 57th Infantry Brigade from the New Jersey National Guard and the 87th Infantry Brigade of the New York National Guard were incorporated and growth continued piecemeal as subordinate units were organized until 1940.[3] The shoulder sleeve insignia (unit patch) of the 44th Division was approved by the Secretary of War on 5 October 1921.[4] The division headquarters was organized and federally recognized on 26 March 1924.[2]: 374 

Any Jewelry, Marote and komokwa like this.
  11. HGregory

HGregory New Member

Hi KnutzKollect, John Hadzess was my great-grandfather! He served for the U.S. Army in World War I. The draft registration posted by Debora is his registration. I do genealogy and was doing a search for new records, and this forum came up. I am so surprised to see his bag posted here! Other than pictures, nothing of John's was passed down through my family, so I am in a bit of shock that you found something with his name across it!

I would love to chat with you about the bag and how you came across it, and tell you more about my great-grandfather! Please start a private conversation with me.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2024
    Marote likes this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

hey HG,,,,,, glad u found us...and your history !:happy::happy:

go to top right of page...INBOX.......contact KK that way ....
    offers to buy or sell are supposed to be private......and your email......which u should know not to post for everyone on the web to see......will be gone in short order...

Marote likes this.
  13. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Hi HGregory. We don't allow offers to buy or sell on the site, except in Sell Forum.

It's also not a good idea to put your private email up. You can start a private conversation with other members if you'd like.

Marote and komokwa like this.
  14. HGregory

HGregory New Member

Hi Bookahtoo, thank you for letting me know! I should have read through the site rules, my apologies. I was not worried about my private email being up as it is the one used for my research, but appreciate your edits to my post and will stick to using the private conversations. :)

Marote and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted