Featured Unusual! 18th c Oil on Metal Painting Thoughts On Origin

Discussion in 'Art' started by RAY1968, Aug 18, 2023.

1. RAY1968

RAY1968 New Member

Hi All

I recently purchased this unusual oil painting on metal sheet at an estate sale in Northern Scotland. Dating to the late 18th century the subject matter is somewhat unusual to say the least. I know that there has been an interest in all things scatological in Northern Europe for centuries, particularly German but would appreciate your thoughts as it its origins. It measures approx 8 inches by 6 inches out of the frame. It is unsigned.

Regards

Ray

Attached Files:

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Giving the British monarchy the "bum" 's rush?

Figtree3, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly,it wasnt usual for artists to paint on metal. Copper usually. That certainly looks like some genuine age on it.Maybe even 1600s ? Can we see a pic of the back and the whole frame?

Figtree3, judy and moreotherstuff like this.
  4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

:singing:
    In days of old,
    When Knights were bold,
    And toilets not yet invented.
    You'd leave your load,
    Beside the road,
    And walk away contented.

kyratango, judy, wlwhittier and 5 others like this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

There's an image I can't unsee!

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, a photograph of the work and the whole frame please. From both the back and the front. Helpful for dating.

Debora

Lucille.b likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

kyratango and moreotherstuff like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They are all over paintings and etchings from the Low Countries, from Brueghel to Rembrandt.;)

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

In the Low Countries aristocracy wasn't nearly as important as elsewhere in Europe. In fact many towns rather did without aristocracy.
    That is how and why The Netherlands became the first modern republic. It also led to art that celebrated middle and even lower classes, including many mundane scenes, rather than kings and cardinals.
    People wanted to see themselves in art, and laugh at themselves.

11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I had a painting on copper, probably late 17th or early 18th C. The plate was hand hammered. This was appraised by the Antiques Roadshow at $600-700 back in 1999. It's condition is poor, and the appraiser was dismissive. This came down through the family. 9-1/4" by 7-3/4".

MadonnaOilPaintingOnCopper-a.jpg

MadonnaOilPaintingOnCopper-j.jpg

I've wondered if the plates used were old printing plates, and what might lie beneath - but I wasn't about to find out.

I've seen others that were brilliant.

Figtree3, Roaring20s, Boland and 3 others like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

That is lovely, mos. You had it, does that mean you sold it?

johnnycb09 likes this.
  13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Gave it to another family member. They don't display it, not their cup of tea, and I could probably get it back. But I have lots of pictures I really like and don't display them, so this would end up just joining the pile. It's no worse off where it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted