Unsure of Origin of this Basket

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Not Sure What This Is, Mar 12, 2024.

1. Not Sure What This Is

Not Sure What This Is Active Member

Hi Everyone,
    I recently acquired this basket. I have a feeling that it may be Asian, but I really don't know. Someone added white wire in order to secure the lid closed. Does anyone know where this likely originated from?
    Thanks! Lidded-Basket-w-Wire-Closures-.jpg Lidded-Basket-w-Wire-Closures-1.jpg Lidded-Basket-w-Wire-Closures-4.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I cannot find a direct comparison for this one, so I will just suggest a few options based on technique and materials.

The basic shape looks Asian/southeast Asian, with the cylindrical shapes reminiscent of bamboo forms.

I cannot tell what the foundation of the coils is made from, and there may some clues there. The stitching material appears to be palm leaf fibers (or similarly soft material). I have seen variations of the particular coiling technique, with wrapped stitches holding the coils slightly apart, in baskets from Mexico, Morocco, and India (and possibly a southeast Asian country that I can't quite find in the junk drawer of my head at the moment). The stitches are more closely worked than I have seen in Mexican or Moroccan baskets.

I would associate the bright colors of the decoration with India, or perhaps Mexico. The fact that the colors are still bright would indicate no great age, as the dyes used for such things tend to fade easily.

The central start, and the long floating stitches of the designs are similar to techniques used in Indian (India) coiled baskets from Bihar made of sikki grass, (but otherwise the appearances are not similar).

So, I guess I would lean toward India or southeast Asia as an origin, but I can't be sure. What made you think it was possibly Asian? Was it with a collection of other Asian objects?

4. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I would add that the start, in a circular form with a "hole" in the center, is commonly found on baskets from Lombok, Indonesia. And the stitches covering several coils, creating the design pattern, are found on some eastern African baskets. But I can't really tell you where this is from....

5. Not Sure What This Is

Not Sure What This Is Active Member

Thank you both 2manybooks and Taupou - your deep knowledge of baskets always impresses. Yes, the basket came from an estate where there were some Chinese baskets, identified as such, and although this one was different and stood out from the others, I thought most likely Asian.

Draft saved Draft deleted