Featured Unmarked Vase with Jean Goujon's Nymphs: Any Information?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Carnivant, Aug 20, 2024.

1. Carnivant

Carnivant Active Member

Hello!

This is a vase I acquired recently which I would appreciate some assistance on. It is approximately 12 inches tall and shows four of Jean Goujon's Nymphs. I haven't been able to find anything like this, so I thought someone here might be able to help.

The outside is matte with a colourful, stucco-like texture between the panels. The bottom has the same stucco-like texture at the centre with an unglazed rim. The inside is entirely glazed with quite a bit of crazing (the pictures didn't really pick it up, but if those are needed, I can keep trying). And... that's about all I can think to report on this.

Any help would be appreciated!

20240820_103213.jpg PANNELS.jpg
    20240820_103257.jpg 20240820_103245.jpg 20240820_103319.jpg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I love it ! To me it looks like someone had some tiles and crafted a vase around them.

antidiem likes this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Agreed, Johnny. It looks like a decorator piece, not old but well made.

4. Carnivant

Carnivant Active Member

Interesting theory. I was not thinking tiles because, on the inside, I can feel the indentation of the nymphs. You can kind of see it in the last picture--the visible groove is the reverse of the nymph's head or arm on that side (it is very easy to feel in person, and it is like that for each side). If a tile, I would assume the indentations wouldn't be there, although I am certainly no expert, so maybe that is not correct? x)

wlwhittier, Any Jewelry and antidiem like this.
  5. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

It appears to have been slip-cast. The bottom rim looks tooled, to me. Those 'nymphs' are similar to a copper panel I have...now I'm on the search for Jean Goujon!

antidiem and Carnivant like this.
  6. Carnivant

Carnivant Active Member

I would agree with slip-cast. Thank you!

Draft saved Draft deleted