Unmarked pottery planter with flower

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by UncleChuckTX, Jul 23, 2019.

1. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

Anyone recognize this unmarked planter? It is 7.5 x 5 x 4. I flipped through my McCoy and Hull books, but have misplaced my Shawnee book.

Thanks!

IMG_3264.JPG
    IMG_3266.JPG IMG_3265.JPG

cxgirl and scoutshouse like this.
  2. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Chuck, we had another vase/planter on here not too long ago with the same runners on the bottom but darn if I can find it now. Maybe a better searcher can find it. American Bisque had runners and several others.
    Patd

UncleChuckTX, cxgirl and judy like this.
  3. UncleChuckTX

Thanks - I thought the same thing. But it also looks like they are just unglazed feet, as opposed to runners or wedges. Unfortunately, I don't have an American Bisque book to check.

I also tried searching by flower species - such as sunflower or dahlia. But then I couldn't think of other flowers the design might represent. :D

cxgirl likes this.
  4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

UncleChuckTX likes this.
  5. UncleChuckTX

Marigold! I spent a good ten minutes googling "orange flowers", trying to think of that name, but came up with chrysanthemum instead. Thanks for looking!

6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

UncleChuckTX likes this.
  7. UncleChuckTX

Nice find - thanks! Besides the overall shape and mold type, the measurements also seem in line with mine. I hadn't considered Haeger, as most of their pieces I've handled had a fully glazed bottom.

i need help likes this.
  8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

No saying their guess is correct, either, though.

UncleChuckTX likes this.
  9. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Chuck, yours is on p. 114 of Sanford's Guide to Brush-McCoy. It says mid 1960s 6 1/2" garden dish. The example in the book has the flower and leaves painted. In the 1960s, it was Brush Pottery, not Brush-McCoy, to be clear.

10. UncleChuckTX

Thank you! I finally completed my Hanson/Nissen McCoy Pottery book set. Looks like I'll have to start picking up the Sanford books next. For some reason, I'm suddenly finding a lot of pieces of Brush.

Draft saved Draft deleted