Unmarked Mother-Of-Pearl & Green (?) Inlaid Silver Ring

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by LoveTheHunt!, Feb 13, 2024.

1. LoveTheHunt!

LoveTheHunt! Well-Known Member

Hello, again!
    I rescued this dainty ring from a scrapper (along with a couple other silver rings and, believe it or not, a TIFFANY bracelet!) and would love to hear some of your learned opinions.
    It has no maker's mark nor silver mark whatsoever. Acid test does indicate high silver content, I would say it is at least sterling.
    It has MOP and "something green" (any guesses?) inlaid perhaps in the style of Zuni, Hopi, Navajo - but I am not familiar with all the finer points of each tribe's styles and technics (like that sawtooth edge on the setting). Nor can I be sure it is not just a cheap Southwestern style imitation...
    The fact that there are no identifying marks also suggests perhaps it may be from a time or place where such things were neither required nor thought to be important. What of that?
    (One of the other rings I rescued was a Taxco piece that had neither an Eagle mark nor one of the later Registration marks, suggesting it is pre-1948. Not that it necessarily has any relation to this piece, but it goes to show there were some older pieces in there. I'll also mention that the 3rd ring was a Wedgwood silver ring with jasperware oval insert. Crazy mix, but great score!)
    I am also wondering what the yellow metal used for the inlay is; I assume brass?
    The front of the ring measures approx. 1" tall x 3/8" wide. It is a size 6-1/4.
    The ring is lightweight, but attractive. I did polish it some.
    As always, I look forward to and appreciate any and all comments on this piece.
    Sterling_Silver-SW_Tribal-Ring-Green&White_Inlaid-fr-lt.jpg Sterling_Silver-SW_Tribal-Ring-Green&White_Inlaid-fr-dk.jpg Sterling_Silver-SW_Tribal-Ring-Green&White_Inlaid-ls.jpg Sterling_Silver-SW_Tribal-Ring-Green&White_Inlaid-bk-A.jpg Sterling_Silver-SW_Tribal-Ring-Green&White_Inlaid-rs.jpg

LauraGarnet02 and Potteryplease like this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like a "failed" hobbyist/student ring. Bezel joint not soldered,twisted wire border covered with excess solder and probably other problems not visible in photo.

LoveTheHunt! and komokwa like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's a lot of mucked on solder...with a poor fit and finish...

LoveTheHunt! likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

someone is cranking these out buy the truck load....

LoveTheHunt! likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I used to have a bracelet like this in the 70s. I would call it SW style.

LoveTheHunt! and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The pale green looks like dyed mop.

LoveTheHunt! likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Not natural turquoise at any rate; the "texture" is wrong. It does make me wonder if the gold is gold; sometimes it is, even on unsigned bits like this.

LoveTheHunt! likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It was brass on my bracelet, and LTH thinks it is also brass on the ring.

LoveTheHunt! and komokwa like this.
  10. LoveTheHunt!

LoveTheHunt! Well-Known Member

Actually, I was just guessing brass, as I would NOT expect to see gold in so many pieces made this way, much less one of this questionable quality. However, I don't know for certain what "the usual" would be, either...

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted