Featured Unmarked IRIDESCENT Pottery Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by LoveTheHunt!, Oct 23, 2018.

1. LoveTheHunt!

LoveTheHunt! Well-Known Member

Today my favorite consignor laid a couple more puzzles on me, so I'll offer this one up to the puzzle-masters on this board...
    We have a pottery vase with very colorful iridescent glazes over a shiny coppery ground.
    It is reminiscent of the iridescent glass of Tiffany or Loetz (though not quite that pretty).
    It stands approx. 6-1/2" tall with about 4-1/2" max. diameter; weight about 1.4 lbs.
    The inside is also glazed, a mix of turquoise blue and that metallic copper.
    Any and all info and/or opinions are welcome!
    Iridescent_Vase-A.jpg Iridescent_Vase-B.jpg Iridescent_Vase-C.jpg Iridescent_Vase-D.jpg Iridescent_Vase-btm.jpg

2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

No idea who made it but I love it!

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

4. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

LOVE IT !!! ... Joy.

LoveTheHunt! and i need help like this.
  5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Knee jerk reaction was France,Belgium or the like. Stunning piece !

6. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

I’d guess Weller Sicard, nice piece!

Figtree3, judy, kyratango and 11 others like this.
  7. Bakersgma

8. Bakersgma

9. LoveTheHunt!

You are confirming Weller Sicard?
    I've been looking at examples of that, and it certainly looks like a good call.
    Most of them I saw were signed, except for one, and that seller said a few were not signed. However, even that one had a number stamped on the bottom, whereas I can find nothing of the sort on this one...
    Can I be SURE about this? I like to be completely accurate when I offer for sale.
    THANX for the QUICK responses! The participants make this site a treasure of information!

judy, Any Jewelry, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  10. Bakersgma

Well, 1) it's definitely a shape they used 2) it's a color palette they used 3) Looking through Rago's book on Weller there are several pages of color examples of Sicard (aka Sicardo) and this is very like the kind of design that shows up. That's my thinking anyway and Anundverkaufen is, I believe, in agreement that it's our best guess.

judy, kyratango, Any Jewelry and 6 others like this.
  11. anundverkaufen

UncleChuckTX, judy, kyratango and 6 others like this.
  12. LoveTheHunt!

YAY! Now, one last question - How many "Best Answers" can I award? :)

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

one......but Thank You's...are unlimited !!!!:):):rolleyes:

14. LoveTheHunt!

Thank you, thank you, thank you, ad infinitum!
    I LOVE to learn, and there is a great wealth of knowledge being shared here. God bless you, every one!

15. LoveTheHunt!

Would this be the "mistletoe" design?

16. Bakersgma

I see the little berry clusters, but that foliage doesn't look like mistletoe to me.

17. anundverkaufen

The berries also look like holly but again the leaves don’t look like right.
    Maybe in a better light the pattern is more obvious.

judy and LoveTheHunt! like this.
  18. Bakersgma

The leaves are arrowhead shaped, like the variety of philodendron called "sagittifolium." I wonder whether the "berries" are a red herring, included only for artistic effect and not intended to represent a specific plant?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    judy and LoveTheHunt! like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted