Unknown Stamp on Shin-Gunto's Tang

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by D.Risk, Jul 7, 2022.

1. D.Risk

D.Risk New Member

So, I am currently trying to find a likely age bracket for the production of my Japanese Shin-Gunto Sword. Based off the sheath, handle and hand guard (Tsuba I think its called) I assume it is from late ww2. To get a more accurate estimate, I decided to take the sword to pieces to see if there are any serial numbers, arsenal stamps or a name on the tang as there are none anywhere else. After a bit of struggling to take the sword to bits due to the whole thing being rusted together I found that the only thing on the tang is either a 10 or a sideways IO, and I cannot find anything on this online so any help is appreciated.
    shi1.PNG shi2.PNG shi3.PNG shi4.PNG shi5.PNG

2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice blade....
    she should be cleaned and oiled..

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. D.Risk

D.Risk New Member

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. the blacksmith

the blacksmith Well-Known Member

I think that it is simply an assembly number. Usually these are painted on the tang (nakago) in red, white or black paint, but I have had a couple with the number stamped in. It is also a slightly odd place for it, usually when painted they are in the middle, or those that I have had with them stamped in are at the bottom, but sideways like yours.

It is either extremely late war, or possibly put together just post war to sell to the GI's as souvenir.

2manybooks likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted