Unknown possible antique glass spoon rest

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ben123, Aug 11, 2018.

1. ben123

ben123 Member

IMG_0306.JPG Hi the person who owned this was born in 1810 and died in 1894 does anyone know what this is or the age of it? The ends are rounded and they are fairly heavy

Regards

Christmasjoy and Chiquita like this.
  2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Knife rests. Presuming that the measurements preclude them being weight lifts.

Jivvy, Houseful, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  3. ben123

ben123 Member

thanks for the help, still not sure what they are 8cm long and 3cm wide at the widest point

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. ben123

ben123 Member

How old do you think they are?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. ben123

ben123 Member

I read somewhere online about glass knife rests, they defiantly look like glass knife rests, but all it says about them is 19th century, the ones I found simlar

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Chiquita

Chiquita Well-Known Member

I saw something similar at estate sale and didn't know what they were. Learned something new today thanks to silverthwait. Below is link from Etsy with different knife rests.

https://etsy.me/2P2kff5

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. ben123

ben123 Member

Hi thanks for the help, but the 1930s would be too new hence the person who owned them died in 1894, and they look different

Christmasjoy and Chiquita like this.
  8. Chiquita

Chiquita Well-Known Member

Yes. Could not find same ones but to show you they are knife rests. Go to eBay or Etsy and enter knife rests. You will find a hodgepodge. If you can upload a picture in eBay app you might even find the same ones as yours

dgbjwc, Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  9. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

How do you know the age of the person who owned them? Family histories can be helpful or grossly miss leading. If you have access to a short wave UV check for a blue glow which woud indicate lead in the formula and date the ealier in you suspected time fram. I am think that they are later .

judy and Bakersgma like this.
  10. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Knife rests can be rather difficult to date. Most are cut glass and the same patterns (roughly) were used by various companies. I haven't found that identifying the exact or rough date of manufacture helps with the sale. Knife rest collectors seem to like to have a variety of patterns and sizes. Value seems to rely primarily on the size and the quality and intricacy of the cutting. The damage to the one knife rest will almost certainly kill any value for that rest.

I obtained a set of knife rests recently which were later rests made in West Germany. I thought I'd save them for myself and I put them out at a family dinner. I was the only one who knew what they were and the only one that used mine. Most likely they'll just sit in drawer now until they go into my own estate sale (sigh).
    Don

Draft saved Draft deleted