Unknown outhouse themed cartoons

Discussion in 'Art' started by MahlonBlaine, Feb 20, 2019.

1. MahlonBlaine

MahlonBlaine Member

Bought a scrapbook with a number of original art pieces and a bunch of 1950’s pinups and other garbage. In there were five cartoons, all having to do somehow with outhouses. The initials RG have been applied to them after the original art was done. I’m thinking these may have been for a comedy paperback or maybe for a “country” magazine? Anyone recognize this style or artist?

Any Jewelry and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

The drawings look fairly sophisticated, but my searches using outhouse humor cartoons and outhouse jokes cartoons were too overwhelming for a busy day like today. This could be a named cartoonist, but apparently outhouse humor is very popular. Just my thoughts. I am no art expert.

judy likes this.
  3. MountainLark

MountainLark Active Member

Great ink work. I really like the style with its clean round shapes and gridded/stippled patterns; the fact that the captions are penciled in seems to point to publication or at least an intent to publish, for sure. Hope someone can connect the initials with a name for ya.

judy likes this.
  4. MahlonBlaine

MahlonBlaine Member

I was overwhelmed as well, and I’ve taken the time to look! I unfortunately found nothing.

5. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Not my area, but they really have the look (not format maybe) of 1940s linen postcards...

temp01.jpg temp02.jpg

Bakersgma likes this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

The only cartoonist of note I could find with initials RG was Rube Goldberg and this isn’t his later work. Maybe you can do a google reverse image search

Draft saved Draft deleted