Featured Unknown Mark

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by amanda parry, Apr 23, 2023.

1. amanda parry

amanda parry New Member

Hi
    Im back with another unkown porcelain mark, again its very pretty but i dont know the maker or date of this lovely box, seems hand painted, looking forward to any help
    Thanks
    Mandy DSCN0130 - Copy.jpg DSCN0084 - Copy.jpg

wlwhittier, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

3. amanda parry

amanda parry New Member

Hope this is a little better
    DSCN0086 (4).JPG

komokwa, wlwhittier, judy and 2 others like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is indeed a lovely box.:)

5. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

The pattern looks like herend of Hungary. I csnt find a match on the mark though. So maybe another Hungarian pottery?

komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Enlarged 3X.....definitely looks like an "L"....couldn't tell if or what the blurr is hiding something else........

DSCN0084 - Copy-gigapixel-low_res-scale-3_00x-cropped.jpg

Chinoiserie and komokwa like this.
  7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

i looks like a fake Sevres mark which is one of the most copied marks in porcelain. The box may be French but it is not Sevres. I would hazard a guess it is Chinese and was marked as such with a foil label that came off at some point.

Any Jewelry, Chinoiserie and komokwa like this.
  8. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

So many of these little ceramic boxes in the 20th c were made in Limoges, but I can't say for sure about this one or the other one you posted since both of them are using fake marks imitating famous factories. A little googling might help narrow down date. It may be that these had a sticker on the base saying "Made in ____" originally. Just my musings.

RachelW and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

One way to tell French from Chinese is by the material. Most French boxes will be made of porcelain but the Chinese boxes are thicker and feel more like stoneware. Also check the difference in the quality of the mounts. The French mounts are usually a bit more delicate looking and a brighter golden color than the Chinese mounts.

RachelW, kentworld and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted