Unknown large Painted textile wall hang ?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by WMB95, Dec 27, 2017.

1. WMB95

WMB95 New Member

Good evening,

This is my first post here so a big hello to you all.

I recently purchased a quantity of French mantle clocks here in the UK from a deceased clockmaker and found this amongst them.

It appears to be a large painted wall hang(?) measuring approx. 980x1720mm. The textile appears very old/fragile & paint heavily faded. Its torn at the folds of which someone has taken the time to stitch a hessian backing to it to keep its shape.

The object appears to display a crowned figure, raising a glass with a lady by his side. In the background a horse drawn carriage can be seen on the left with a castle in the background.

Below, I believe there is red lettering which seems too faded to read.

I’m interested to know if anyone might be able to identify what is being displayed on the textile and what it is? It appears to be very old, but on the other hand i wondered if it might be something like a theatre prop made to look old ?

Any input would be gratefully appreciated.

Will

Attached Files:

aaroncab likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I'd guess a Germanic scene - the big barrel to the right and the tall ewer with pointed lid that the lady is holding influenced my guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted