unknown item

Discussion in 'Tools' started by wvfleamarkethunter, Jul 10, 2016.

1. wvfleamarkethunter

wvfleamarkethunter New Member

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It would make it easier to see against a plain background. Different angles would probably help and also a description of what moves and what does not.
    Currently I am stumped.

3. wvfleamarkethunter

Dont have access to it now for more photos but the wooden handle part moves and has a plate that shifts looks to be made from brass the end next to the craftsman letters can be loosened or tightend and has the spring in it all i know is we have used it as a conversation starter for well over 15 years

4. wvfleamarkethunter

Also it has no lettering of any kind that we have found and if you look close at the center part you can see the divide where the upper plate is that the handle moves

5. Mary Delaney

Mary Delaney Well-Known Member

Some type of rasp/file maybe?

6. Steersman

Steersman Well-Known Member

Is there a hole in the pointy end on the left? If there is, I'd suggest a greaser of some sort. "Spring Greasers" for old cars somewhat resemble your item.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome!
    ~
    In the vast files of my brain, much like the end shot in Raiders of the Lost Ark ;) , I think I have seen this contraption before and perhaps handled one.
    ~
    I suspect it's for working sails, leather or at least some fabric, to penetrate and make a hole to attach/install something be it a grommet, clip or thimble.
    The pointed arched part is very smooth and appears worn as does the adjacent hexagonal part, at least as best I can tell in this photo.
    The wood handle helps with control and pressure and when the point is in far enough the wood handle section is removed by loosening the thumbscrew and withdrawing the pin.
    It could be that the handle is in backwards and should be closer to the knurled handle. It possibly it starts out this way, then is removed and turned around for further penetration though I do doubt it because of the hexagonal shape and the wear noted previously...if that is what I see.
    The trussed area of the hex shaped metal looks to have been beaten to drive this in as well.
    Note that a wrench could be used to hold or turn this part which is likely why it is a hex and not a round tube but with all the leverage of that handle I don't know why it would need that.
    It may also be used to remove something from the materials stated but doesn't seem likely.
    ~
    Has anyone ever touched on this possibility?
    ~
    If I guessed right do I get to have it? :)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  8. wvfleamarkethunter

No there is no hole in the end and the center piece with the handle shifts just enough to make a small opening will be year before i will be able to get it again to take more pictures

KingofThings likes this.
  9. KingofThings

No mail where you are???
    :wideyed:

10. wvfleamarkethunter

As we have used it as a way to strike up conversations with people shopping several have thought it may be some type of leather working tool but no one has known for sure and that includes myself it has been with us for well over 15 years and was passed down to my buddy from his father when he passed away so i would have to say sorry king i wouldnt be able to pass it on to you if you are correct just a heart felt thanks for the help in figuring out what it was so i could stop telling people its a left handed reverse twist thingy madoodle

11. wvfleamarkethunter

It belongs to a very close friend but he only sets up for this one week and by now its back in storage in a random box of tools till next year king somewhere in P.A till next july 1 when he will come back to pocahontas county WV for pioneer days and set up for the week

KingofThings likes this.
  12. KingofThings

Ha!!!
    Ah well. :(
    ~
    A couple of ideas>
    Send that photo to>
    1) Some maritime museums, especially those specifically for sail, and perhaps the vast one in Philadelphia.
    2) Tandy Leather.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  13. wvfleamarkethunter

Awesome ideas thanks King as much leather work as i used to do i should have thought of tandy before no matter what it is its an amazing conversation starter at least :happy:

KingofThings likes this.
  14. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Possibly a physical therapy device for someone recovering from hand or wrist injury. Spring tension is increased as patient recovers. Patient is asked to hold brass part in one hand and revolve wood handle around axis of the brass stuff, with other hand. I guessed this because the item lacks an obvious anvil, bit, jaws etc. that indicates where the work occurs, such as we see on most things we call tools.

Or perhaps it is for making theatrical sound effects like squeaking door hinges. The thumbscrew in the end is tightened until the correct-sounding squeak is obtained.

Anyway due to lack of trade name, part number, patent info., and presence of solder on the brass, could be a one-off device made to solve a unique requirement and no one will ever figure it out since all participants in that one-time effort are deceased.

KingofThings likes this.
  15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@wvfleamarkethunter, I've taken the liberty, if you don't mind, of giving you a clean background, in case you want to send it to a couple of museums or locations! Happy Hunting and a very warm WELCOME!!!!

ThingAmadoodle.jpg

16. KingofThings

WOW!!!!!!
    ~
    AMAZING A-KEY! ;)

~
    The knurls worn off the thumbscrew are telling in its use.
    ~
    I also think that with the wood handle section, and thumbscrew mechanism, removed it can be moved about at angles once through whatever it penetrates.

17. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Aw shucks, now yer makin' me blush..........:bag::bag::bag:

18. KingofThings

Ha! :D:hilarious:
    That's all it takes? ;)
    Perhaps I should think of other things..... ;)
    :wideyed:

19. wvfleamarkethunter

Awesome thanks

KingofThings likes this.
  20. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Excellent work there on removing the background! Even added a shadow consistent with light from upper left! Would love to know what program helped with that.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted