Unknown Glassware

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by LeviathanInUtero, Nov 27, 2018.

1. LeviathanInUtero

LeviathanInUtero New Member

So I recently acquired a piece of pressed glassware, but haven't been able to identify it beyond either a cake stand, or a shallow compote?

These are currently the only images I have, but I can take better ones later on if required.

35fd6c95-d651-4e86-92be-1a76e96eed33.jpg
    bb868cc3-0c43-43e9-98c7-4f1d1d039ffc.jpg
    8ca13953-b802-4177-b2d3-2ba3e5cf169d.jpg

To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less if this piece has no value at all beyond just a dish. I'm mostly just want to learn a bit more about it. Such as; how old it is, maybe approximately where it's from, and a bit about its overall patterns and design.

As much as I've looked, it remains a complete mystery beyond the fact that it was advertised as part of a set of vintage cake stands from Romania.

2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Can’t help ID but, JMHO, it can’t be a cake stand because it isn’t flat. But then again I am no expert! Calling @TallCakes :shame:

pearlsnblume, i need help and judy like this.
  3. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

considering provenance mentioned I would first check at
    https://pressglas-pavillon.de/index2.html
    on the centerpieces page as that is where Pam shows compotes and cake stands. then I'd check maybe the bowls and/or plates for something. Did a quick look but didn't spot a match tho'...

pearlsnblume and i need help like this.
  4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I think it looks more like a bowl/stand where one would put some fruit perhaps?
    Remember that beaded fruit, everything old is new again.

i need help likes this.
  5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Pearls,
    Thanks for the memories of beaded fruit. I am sitting here with my thumbs aching. I have "studded" 10 Naval oranges with hundreds of clove buds. I made them for Christmas. They will start to shrink in about a week or so. They smell so wonderful and the aroma lasts until late spring. Sometimes I just make circles around the orange sometimes I just make patterns. I tried it one year with lemons but lemons lose their smell to quick. I make a couple for the cats to roll around but I have to collect them in the evening, otherwise the racket can be frightening sometimes. I make sure the oranges stop leaking. Otherwise the cats ignore them.
    greg

Bakersgma, pearlsnblume, judy and 2 others like this.
  6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Sounds wonderful Greg.
    I remember making the beaded fruit when I was a kid. I bought a kit and boy my fingers and hands did ache too.
    Now people are decorating with them again.
    :)

i need help likes this.
  7. LeviathanInUtero

LeviathanInUtero New Member

@TallCakes Thank you, the link's pretty helpful because although I haven't seen a match at first glance, several of the pieces look closer than anything I've seen in previous searches. Hopefully that should help me narrow things down.

Draft saved Draft deleted