Unknown Decorative Style

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bill Giles, Jul 5, 2023.

1. Bill Giles

Bill Giles Member

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600.jpg I have recently come into possession of 4 vases which all have a similar style of decoration. At first glance, I would assume that they are oriental simply because of the subject matter and style but cannot confirm this as none of them have any signature marks.

What I am trying to find out is the name of the style of decoration with the spots etc. and what period of time was this style of decoration commonly practiced and made.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2023
  2. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

Moriage.

Bakersgma likes this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Moriage is a Japanese term for a particular decorative technique of using thick clay slips or enamels to create raised designs on pottery or porcelain. The technique is often associated with Japanese Satsuma pottery. But your pieces appear to be relatively modern Chinese vases.

For future photographs, it is always helpful to show the complete object in the view. In most cases, several views are good, including the bottoms of ceramic pieces even if there is no marking.

4. Bill Giles

Bill Giles Member

Thanks for your feedback, very informative

pearlsnblume and 2manybooks like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted