Featured Unknown Basket Style

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 2manybooks, Dec 22, 2023.

1. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where this style of basket comes from? I have seen 2 now in my internet wanderings, but can't determine their origin. The base appears to be a separate piece, woven with a standard twining technique. (It looks somewhat similar to the ubiquitous Chinese trinket baskets/boxes.) The sides appear to be worked over a stiff framework, using a teneriffe style of technique with raffia or similar soft fiber. Any suggestions?

teneriffe unknown basket.jpg

teneriffe unknown basket base.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice basket....I've not seen one like it ...

3. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

The bottom is fascinating, especially for the 6-segment center; the shading there is unique in my admittedly limited experience...it shows on both inner an' outer faces. Thanks!

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it kinda reminds me of Zulu wire baskets..... :wideyed::wideyed:

[​IMG]

or...

Pakurigo....[​IMG]

for the colors and geometry..

5. 2manybooks

Yeah, the use of colors is what seems distinctive. Most teneriffe lace work baskets I have seen do not used dyed materials, just natural raffia color.

ulilwitch likes this.
  6. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Real 'eye-dazzler' of a basket-beautifully complex work,be a keeper in our house.

Potteryplease and ulilwitch like this.
  7. 2manybooks

OK, new information. I was browsing Ed Rossbach's "Baskets as Textile Art", saw a similar one in plain raffia, but he notes that "Some are worked in red and green against the natural raffia color." (pg. 161) They are from Ischia, Italy.

Here is the one I recently bought, which is what prompted the questions. It has some damage, but less than the first one I saw, (the one posted above) -

Ischia basket - smaller.jpg

I also found that there was an earlier discussion on the forum that included a post by @Taupou about Ischia baskets, back in 2016 (before my time here):

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/wicker-bowl.10938/#post-157791

8. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

Beautiful!

2manybooks likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted