Featured Unique pearl and sapphire necklace with earrings

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Tabithaxx, Sep 10, 2024.

1. Tabithaxx

Tabithaxx New Member

In my introduction thread, I mentioned I bid on an auction for a pearl necklace, and as I won it I wanted to show you all.

This necklace and earring set are totally unique - they were made by Crosley Diamonds (who are now disbanded) and they were used in the short film Prey in 2008. There are ten natural green sapphires, strung on 925 silver with mother-of-pearl pearls. The necklace unfastened is 42cm.

Here are some pictures:
    upload_2024-9-10_22-2-23.png upload_2024-9-10_22-2-50.png upload_2024-9-10_22-3-4.png

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

pearls.....are not mother of pearl.....

those look like cultured pearls...;)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2024
  3. komokwa

Green sapphires come in all shapes, sizes, and color tones , & green sapphires range from a light mint and lime hue to deep earthy greenish brown colors.

I can't tell what color those are......... and the cut looks like they came from a chandelier ...... :(:(

maybe a white background photo , would be more revealing ....;)

4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I agree, that background kills any color for us :(

5. Tabithaxx

Tabithaxx New Member

I see what you mean about a chandelier but they are most definitely not haha. I am out today, but as soon as I have time I will post pictures in different lights so you can see the colour properly.

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The methods of construction & materials used for putting it all together are those of a home craftsperson. The pearls really should have knots in between to keep them from rubbing on each other. Stringing it all on beading wire (how sure are you that this is sterling?) was the lazy way to do it, although I can see there might be a problem with the stones sawing through in time if silk had been used.

The set might have been used in a short film, but otherwise I doubt the origin story.

7. Tabithaxx

Tabithaxx New Member

Yes, I was also worried about the lack of knots between the pearls. It definitely is sterling, I'm sure about that. I don't know the reputation of Crosley Diamonds as they disbanded long ago and I cannot find any of their work.

And I don't know why you are doubting the origin story as I have concrete proof it's true.

I'm not too worried about the faults as I got it valued at about 20x what I paid for it, so I will most likely sell it on as it has no sentimental value for me.

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree.
    Those (gem)stone facet cut/briolette beads can still be bought in craft stores, and cultured pearls can be bought just about anywhere. The closure is a bit odd for this type of necklace, and could have been harvested from another one. The wire binding on one of the earring dangles is uneven.

If someone combines these elements in a set, it is unique because they made it, and because they probably only made one. Unique doesn't always mean value. About the Crosley Diamonds mark, is it found on the clasp as well as the earhooks?
    A photo against a white background will help to see the colour, but it won't change the fact that it looks like a home craft job.

I'm sure it looks pretty on an evening out and I hope you will enjoy it as such, but I don't see an investment.
    A photo from the film of someone wearing it may be a selling point for Prey afficionados, but how much would it add to the value?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2024 at 9:02 AM
  9. Any Jewelry

10. komokwa

And I don't know why you are doubting the origin story as I have concrete proof it's true.

I for one , would like to hear about that ! :)

11. komokwa

we have a thread about film props.... & this would seem to qualify..

kyratango, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@Tabithaxx , was this the right Crosley Diamonds?

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/06346690

This one was in business under that name for just three years, from 2007-2010. Most activity in 2007-2008.

Interesting, under the Filing History tab on that page you may find all of their business filings.

In the Overview tab it says the Nature of Business (SIC) was 7487 Other Business Activities.

Perhaps it was a different Crosley Diamonds, but I notice that the dates match up well with the date you were given for the short film in which the necklace was used.

13. Any Jewelry

According to the information you found, the name of the owner was Harriet Crosley. I found that she provided 4,668 diamonds for the most expensive abaya in the world, designed by Bruce Oldfield:

https://www.trendhunter.com/trends/most-expensive-abaya

Looks like she dealt specifically in diamonds, as the name also implies. I must say, between Tabithas set and the Oldfield abaya there is a huge difference in the types of markets. I wonder why that could be.

14. Tabithaxx

Tabithaxx New Member

Ah it must be a different Crosely! The chap who made the set was called John - he owned Crosely Diamonds.

15. Bronwen

16. Any Jewelry

Yes, that is where I found her name.
    But Tabitha told us today that her set was made by a John Crosely of Crosely Diamonds, so a different company from Crossley Diamonds.

Figtree3, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  17. Bronwen

Are we looking for Crosley or Crosely?

kyratango likes this.
  18. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

If you have some sort of proof of the origin of the jewelry, then please post it, but if it's just the existing image of little known British actress Lucy Colgate wearing the set in the also little known 11 minute 2008 film 'Prey', then that's definitely not the whole story. As already suggested, the construction of the pieces is not what would be expected of high quality jewelry supposedly from a firm specializing in diamonds...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Sep 12, 2024 at 5:31 PM
  19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I could literally have made this set, but wouldn't have. I'd have knotted between the pearls, and my work would sell for the value of the beads. (hence I don't sell it. Not worth the effort, quite literally.) It may well have been made by a crafter for the movie, but that doesn't make it worth a pile unless it was a famous movie.

20. Tabithaxx

Tabithaxx New Member

I don't know why everybody is launching a Mi5 investigation haha. I am selling it on for 20x what I sold for it and that's only what matters to me. Thank you for everybodies input but it is not needed. I know what the necklace is worth, I had it valued by three different jewellers who all said basically the same. I may have been sold a false story by the previous owner but my intention is to sell it on for more so I don't really care haha. Thank you though...

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted