Featured Unidentified Antique Spectacles

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by The Junk Lady's Son, Aug 19, 2022.

1. Hello, everyone. I picked up this pair of seemingly very old spectacles for a couple dollars from a garage sale today. I've been trying to identify their approximate age but have not made much progress, so I was hoping to find someone more knowledgeable here. As seen in the photos, they have a metal wire frame and ovoid shaped lens. The only identifying mark is USA, imprinted into the bridge. (It's a bit hard to see, but that is showing in the last photo.) The only other clues I have are that the lens are completely flat rather than rounded, that the temples are not attached with screws but rather some sort of bolt, and that the bridge has very sharp curves.

The case came with it, but I don't know if it's the original or if the spectacles were just put in it later.

Thank you in advance for your insights!

Attached Files:

Aquitaine, KSW, judy and 1 other person like this.
  2. One quick correction: the USA mark is in the third photo, not the last one!

KSW and judy like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@The Junk Lady's Son Junk, one quick question.....any chance you can read what it says just to the LEFT of the "U" in USA??? It's too faint to bring it up....AND, WELCOME to ANTIQUERS!!!:happy::happy:

Antique Spectacles 3 Large.jpg

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
    KSW, sabre123 and judy like this.
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Impossible to date without a maker's name,this type has been made for at least the last 100 years.Even with a maker's name some of the companies have been active for over 100 years. Are both sides of the lens flat or just the front?

KSW, sabre123 and judy like this.
  5. Sorry for the late responses...I've been traveling over the past week and just got a chance to log back on.

@Hollyblue The lens seem to be flat on both sides, not just the front. I've been encountering the exact challenge you mention: no other marks has made it incredibly difficult to date this pair.

@Aquitaine I tried to do examine it under magnification, and even then I unfortunately can't tell if it's other writing or just spot aging.

Thank you for your help regardless!

Aquitaine likes this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi once more, @The Junk Lady's Son ....quick question....I realize it's a far reach, but again, if you have a strong loupe, try checking where I've pointed in red with the two arrows at the hinge on the glasses....it looks like there "COULD" be some small marks.....they'd be faded or weak, that's for sure..........there's a lot of "noise" in the picture.....

Antique Spectacles 4 Large-a.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted