Featured uggg - more religious wood

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Rclinftl, Mar 3, 2024.

1. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

2 very old early wood carvings - first bud has a bundled package - loaf/loaves of bread? is this John The Baptist ? second bud has a satchel - and what's really interesting is that his body was carved to secure the satchel even though it is a separate entity... they are very well done - not sure if they are religious - loaf bud measures 9 1/2" tall and satchel guy measures 8" tall - advanced thanXies for any observations...

wood.jpg wood2.jpg wood3.jpg wood4.jpg wood5.jpg wood6.jpg wood7.jpg wood8.jpg wood10.jpg wood9.jpg

Roaring20s, Rayo56, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

First does look like John the Baptist due to the animal skin garment. Second does not strike me as religious, more of a peasant figure.

komokwa, wlwhittier, Rclinftl and 2 others like this.
  3. Bronwen

Hands of second look positioned to be holding a staff/shepherd's crook/oar/barge pole, something long & straight.

komokwa, wlwhittier, Rclinftl and 2 others like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

They're both good-sized. Look like figures for a nativity scene.

Debora

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Your figures are quite nicely done. (And the shepherds in nativity scenes often wear animal skins.)

Debora

Bronwen, Rclinftl and komokwa like this.
  6. Bronwen

I thought he was symbolically looking ahead to the one who would come after him, but I like the nativity scene idea, in which case he is shielding his eyes from the brightness of the star.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yeah, he works. They are quite nice as these things go. Less important characters; wonder what others would have looked like.

Debora

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted