Two More Silver Pieces Help Needed

Discussion in 'Silver' started by cxgirl, Aug 20, 2015.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Here are two more pieces I need help with. They don't stick to a magnet so thinking they are sterling.
    #1 sugar tongs or nips, 4 1/4" long. The only marks are inside the bowl part, each one has a lion and letters RC or maybe RG. On the second bowl the letters are very hard to make out, but I think I see the R.
    #2 are another pair of tongs, maybe for something in liquid as there are spaces in the bowls. Oriental looking, no idea on the marks. 4 1/2" long.
    Any ideas appreciated!
    thanks for looking.
    DSC08458.jpg DSC08451.jpg DSC08454.jpg DSC08456.jpg DSC08427.jpg DSC08443.jpg DSC08442.jpg DSC08428.jpg

gimbler-dave likes this.
  2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The first set are British, probably London, maker RC, probably not Richard Chawner, the first name that springs to mind.

Looks around the mid 18th C. for a maker with script RC initials.

cxgirl likes this.
  4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks af, I'll keep looking. I've never had any silver that old before. Were the photos of the marks ok? I read your thread on photos, great information.

5. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I can't tell if the 1st set of marks are RC or RG even after working with your pics. Here are a couple of webpages with RCs and RGs makers' marks for London. Maybe you can better see if any are like yours.

Here are the RCs. None of them appear to have a script R like yours:
    http://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Makers/London-RA-RD.html#RC

Here are the RGs. The only script Rs are for Richard Gosling and Robert Garrard II, but the "G"s look different and Garrard mark is topped with a crown:
    http://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Makers/London-RE-RI.html#RG

Am including an edited pic of the RC mark in hopes someone can tell if C or G.

--- Susan

RG-combo.jpg

cxgirl likes this.
  6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Sometimes you just have to go by the style of the piece, and guess the period.

What about the 5th mark down in the RC section? Near enough for farmwork, they say a 'bumpless' mark was registered 1759, which is about right for the item.

It's all men in sheds, really. The tongs are clearly what they are and when they are from.

cxgirl likes this.
  7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks for editing the photos Susan. Having it in hand it is impossible to say for sure if RC or RG.
    I looked at the one in RC section, looks close but the R is joined to the C - but maybe the 'bumbless mark' was slightly different?
    I agree, it's all men in sheds.

Draft saved Draft deleted