Featured Two Jewelry Fix-Up Projects

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Joan, Aug 24, 2024.

1. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I’m looking for opinions on two pieces of jewelry that I’m working on. The first one is a vintage pendant with a missing center stone (cost $2.50) that I’m thinking of replacing with a stone that doesn’t match either of the other colors, and maybe is a little too small (but it's the only thing in my stash of loose rhinestones that comes close). If I sell it, I’d disclose the replacement stone.
    CzechPendant-1.jpg CzechPendant-2.jpg CzechPendant-3.jpg CzechPendant-4.jpg

The second piece is an Art Deco brooch that I posted last year with some earrings that I thought were turquoise, but the earrings turned out to be chrysocolla according to Any Jewelry and evelyb30. Here's the brooch.
    ArtDecoPin-1.jpg ArtDecoPin-2.jpg
    I figured it would be impossible to find rhinestones that would fit, so my husband sawed the bottom out of a thrift store plastic bowl, cut a rectangle to the approx size, then I sanded it down to fit, and polished with Simichrome. I spent more on the 1000 & 1500 grit sandpaper than what the brooch is probably worth now--it's mainly just a fun project.

Last week I finally found a green glass bead and some vintage bead caps in a bag of old Czech beads and brass bead caps, etc. I’d be interested in opinions about whether the green glass bead dangle looks ok, or would look better with something else.

2. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

Nice job.

kyratango, johnnycb09 and Joan like this.
  3. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I like it with the round green bead.

kyratango, mirana, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  4. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you NanaB and Bookahtoo--I value your opinions.

kyratango and johnnycb09 like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The green looks fine. For the pin the bead is fine, but I'd be looking for something longer and metallic. It's a very 80s pin and the round bead isn't quite right.

Joan and johnnycb09 like this.
  6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

I think they both look very nice...

~Cheryl

7. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I appreciate your comments, but I knew the pin is authentic Art Deco because of the clasp (I should have posted a photo of the back earlier). But thanks to your comment, I decided I should add a photo, and when I zoomed in I could see that the pin stem is actually marked Made in Czechoslovakia, which I didn't know until now. So thank you again, evelyb.
    ArtDecoPin-5.jpg ArtDecoPin-6.jpg

8. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you, Cheryl.

kyratango and DragonflyWink like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

You're welcome.

Joan likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Great job, Joan. Lucky find, those 1960s rhinestones. That shade of green looks good on the pendant.
    I agree, it looks Czechoslovakian.
    And it is a very Art Deco design and colour combination. I would say 1930s.
    The replacement 'stone' is perfect, great 'out of the box' thinking.:playful:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2024
    kyratango, Joan and Dessert58 like this.
  11. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Love both of these!

kyratango and Joan like this.
  12. Dessert58

Dessert58 Well-Known Member

i like your way of thinking! Good job on both repairs

Any Jewelry, kyratango and Joan like this.
  13. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for your comments, Any Jewelry, Lucille, Dessert, and others who commented--I really appreciate your help. I now have the green rhinestone glued into the pendant, and decided to leave the green bead dangle on the Art Deco pin...for now. Maybe someday when I'm looking through thrift store jewelry I'll run across the perfect replacement--there are still a few stores left in my area that could have something like that, but the odds are very slim.

14. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Great job and result!

Joan, Dessert58 and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you, kyratango.

kyratango likes this.
  16. nastina.nastea

nastina.nastea Well-Known Member

I think you did a great job and it looks so neat!

Joan and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted