Two CDVs, same man? Opinions please!

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Batman_2000, May 13, 2015.

1. Batman_2000

Batman_2000 Well-Known Member

Hi, I recently came across these two CDVs in a job lot, and one is labelled B(isho)p Phillpotts of Exeter, while the other is not. I'm wondering if they are the same man and would appreciate your opinions? Unfortunately the second (un-named) CDV is a little blown-out, so the features are not so clear.

Henry Phillpotts died 1869 (age 91) and seems to have been a determined and political character who you either loved or hated! I think it's easy to see the determination etched all over his face :).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Phillpotts

Phillpotts-1.jpg Phillpotts-2.jpg

Phillpotts portrait 1.jpg Phillpotts portrait 2.jpg

Last edited: May 13, 2015
    KingofThings likes this.
  2. Batman_2000

I may have answered my own question :cat: ... there's a similar CDV on eBay, taken by Mayall and identified as Bishop Phillpotts! He looks a little fatter in the face in the second image than he does on my named CDV (which it turns out, was taken 1863).

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Thanks for clearing that up. I was wondering how they got a photograph of him if he died in 1796.:rolleyes:
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Batman_2000

Haha! Oops! OP has now been edited...

5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Been there, done that.
    greg

KingofThings and Batman_2000 like this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Looking at your original post, I see the resemblance and was going to say that I thought that your Mayall photo could be of Bishop Phillpotts. When I look for the one you found on eBay, the only one I can locate that was Phillpotts by Mayall looks more like your already ID'd photo taken by Walker. I'm not sure that the one on eBay lends itself to an ID of your Mayall photo. He looks older in the one on eBay, and in your Walker photo. I think the man in your Mayall photo looks slightly younger. Also, the photographer's set (I mean the studio setting -- curtains, etc.) of the Mayall one on eBay is different than the set on yours. This probably means taken at a different time. Here is the one I'm looking at on eBay. Is this the one you were referring to? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mayall-Lond...27?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_71&hash=item51ad55421b

Fig

Last edited: May 13, 2015
    Batman_2000 and KingofThings like this.
  7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

That's funny... I was thinking if it's the same man, he looks older in the Mayall photo. His skin looks softer and more droopy, and his hair and eyebrows look whiter to me.

Just goes to show how everyone sees things differently! :)

Batman_2000 likes this.
  8. Figtree3

I think because he is more hunched over in the Walker photo, and also in the eBay photo by Mayall, that is why I thought he looked older there. Maybe just a trick of posture?

Batman_2000 likes this.
  9. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Ah, and I see it as his having stronger muscle tone and being less relaxed in the Walker photo. Once hormones start ebbing away and joints start hurting more, muscles tend to get softer. And people often mellow more, or at least don't have the energy they once did so stop being as intense about whatever used to incite them to action. That's my take, anyway!

Batman_2000 likes this.
  10. Batman_2000

Yes, that's the one... I wasn't sure if I should link to the auction. I agree, there are significant differences between the Mayall CDV's, and maybe I got a bit over excited when I saw it ;-). But to me, his face on the eBay photo more resembles my Mayall CDV than the other one... although it is difficult since it's in profile and we can't really zoom in.

It's hard to decide which older and which is younger, but I've come across a selection of images here: http://www.npg.org.uk/collections/s...search=sas&sText=henry+phillpotts&OConly=true
    Is it my imagination, or does the CDV taken 'in his 90th year' look as though he has a fuller face?

I'm more confident now, after discussing it, that both CDVs in my OP are of Bishop Phillpotts. His coat also strikes me as being very similar.

I'm particularly drawn to the Walker CDV because of how Dickensian it looks! Many thanks for your comments :)

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

People's faces do often get fuller as they age, 'specially as everything starts droooooooping.

12. Figtree3

Pat, I see what you mean. Thanks!

Pat P likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted