Featured Two Beauties I've been Dying to Show!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by RachelW, Aug 6, 2024.

1. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

I spied these two pieces in a smallish lot, and to my surprise no one else was interested. With shipping included, I paid 49 cents a piece for these!!

This is silver, solid, and gorgeous! The middle stone was attached by swiveling, so it stills moves a little. So interesting to see the construction like that!
    The raised pin always points me more towards 1860s/70s, but the length of it points to later, 90s or turn of the century perhaps?

IMG_20240730_141407.jpg IMG_20240730_141443.jpg IMG_20240730_141745.jpg

This I thought was worth a closer look, I thought it was mounted on silver and it looked older. I get it in my hands and immediately see its coral!! I don't know how the seller missed that.

The pin stopper is NOT silver, but the rest of it is. Possibly added on later then? Also along her frame it looks to be gilt. The poor thing needs a good clean, but Im really hesitant to try anything without speaking to you all first, or at least looking back through the archives. There are no marks or signatures anywhere.

Is it possible to date her? Naked cameos online have ranges from 18th to early 20th, and the stopper seems to be vintage. But I have no idea if someone stuck that on later or not, since its not silver. And is she really coral?
    IMG_20240730_141518.jpg IMG_20240730_141557.jpg IMG_20240730_141533.jpg IMG_20240730_141509.jpg IMG_20240730_140627.jpg IMG_20240730_140610.jpg

Thanks all! :angelic::woot:

Hinarushi, trip98, Dessert58 and 9 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I am very tired, so I'll leave the rest to the others, but that stopper is definitely recent. I would leave it off, that pin wasn't made to be paired with a stopper like that.

Dessert58, mirana, stracci and 4 others like this.
  3. RachelW

Oh GOOD! I was worried this was newer than I hoped. Its a bit stuck, but I'll try to take it off. Rest well!

stracci, kyratango, Marote and 2 others like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

You hold of the bottom part of the stopper with one hand, the top part of the stopper with the other and you pull them 'apart'. That way it loosens.

mirana, stracci, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Yes, she is really coral, and can be cleaned with tepid water, mild soap & a soft toothbrush. After patting dry, allow to air dry for a day before putting into any sort of closed box, etc. The white area is integral to the coral & will not be affected by washing.

Agree this clutch is overkill for this delicate piece. As AJ was explaining, the clutch is in 2 pieces connected by a spring. If it is working smoothly, i.e., not stuck with age, the rounded lower part pulls away from the larger upper part to release the clutch. Usually it's not necessary to release the locking mechanism to put the clutch back on the pin stem, although might help avoid the wriggled pin.

Any Jewelry, mirana, stracci and 4 others like this.
  6. RachelW

Thank you Bronwen! I'll get her clean tomorrow. Is she a generic lady/goddess or someone specific?

Thank you both for the explanation, I was able to get it off without fuss. I've not had to use one before lol

7. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

They are both SUPERB!!!
    The coral may become matte and showing white dry areas after cleaning and letting it dry. No problem! A very little of thin oil (or your T zone natural oil!) rubbed on it will restore its color and shine:)

8. RachelW

Awesome! I've got plenty of natural oil :hilarious: so no problem there, I'll show it once its dried and pretty.

kyratango, Any Jewelry and stracci like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

And now you know what it is for!:smuggrin::joyful:
    And you know, more oil needs more antique coral. Fact!:pompous:

kyratango and RachelW like this.
  10. RachelW

Here she is! All clean and pretty. Is there anything else we can figure out about her?

IMG_20240812_165629.jpg IMG_20240812_165632.jpg IMG_20240812_165708.jpg IMG_20240812_165711.jpg IMG_20240812_165721.jpg

11. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Very pretty!

kyratango and RachelW like this.
  12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I'd call her a generic Flora.

kyratango, Any Jewelry and RachelW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted