Featured Turquoise Ring Questions

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Crystal Swartz, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Crystal Swartz

Crystal Swartz New Member

Hello! I’m wondering if anyone has info about this ring. Was in my grandma’s lot. She had lived in Saudi Arabia in the 1980s. Wondering if it’s a particular kind of turquoise? Why it’s shaped like this? Designer/style? It has no markings. Did the magnet test and seems to be sterling silver. Thanks for input 997CD651-8432-43E3-B6CB-57A8170D40FE.jpeg 997CD651-8432-43E3-B6CB-57A8170D40FE.jpeg 997CD651-8432-43E3-B6CB-57A8170D40FE.jpeg

Any Jewelry, KSW and kyratango like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Can we see the rest of the ring? Usually an odd shaped piece of turquoise makes me think Navajo; they tend to polish the rocks up and leave the shape as found. All that matrix wouldn't make a Middle Eastern buyer happy, but an American Southwestern one would think it was dandy.

3. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    Pat Dennis, KSW and kyratango like this.
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Don't depend on the magnet test.It only tells you that something is magnetic and not what the material actually is. You probably don't know that a lot of platinum jewelry is magnetic and a number of pieces are actually platinum magnets.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I didn’t know that Holly- Thankyou. Fortunately I suspect that not a lot of platinum jewellery has slipped through my hands in the cheap job lots I buy from eBay!.Having said that I did find a platinum ring in one though with so much dirt on it the PLAT was nearly invisible. Fortunately I usually double check everything before it goes out again so I found it but I will triple check now I know this!. Great information.

kyratango likes this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

7. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

We need photos of all angles- please.

kyratango likes this.
  8. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Not AJ (only wish I had her knowledge) but was thinking Asia as soon as I saw it. I can barely see the setting but what I can see does not look NA and I’ve seen tons of gorgeous heavy matrix turquoise out of Asia from the Middle East, Tibet, etc. I’d expect the setting to be spot on with those Saudi pieces. Beautiful ring Crystal!

Non matrix Persian turquoise is certainly prized but this ring is a totally different category of ethnic jewelry and much more interesting to me personally although not valuable like Persian turquoise.

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i'm not yet seeing Navajo here...

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful ring, Crystal, and welcome. I would love to see more photos.
    Absolutely right, classic Bedouin style, and very likely Saudi. The shape of the ring face is adapted to the shape of the stone as it was found or bought, so there is no loss of stone.
    Turquoise is one of the stones that have a spiritual connotation in Islam, and in some traditions different matrix patterns have a different meaning. Ali, the son-in-law of the prophet Muhammad and an important caliph in Islam, wore a turquoise set ring for spiritual purposes.

This specific colour of the silver is traditional Middle Eastern. It is more greyish than SW Native American silver.
    It is also seen in traditional Indian jewellery.

Gold jewellery is frowned upon by the more traditional Sunni Muslims.
    The fashion for gold jewellery and 'flawless' turquoises is seen more in Shia Iran and outside the more traditional Sunni regions, for instance in the Mediterranean part of the Middle East and in the Indian influenced Gulf States.
    The shop in the link flipper found is called 'Al Quds', which is Arabic for Jerusalem, so the owner could be Palestinian (Mediterranean).

Gold jewellery is becoming more popular in Saudi cities as well, but Bedouin jewellery will always be Bedouin jewellery. When you lead a travelling lifestyle in sandstorms etc, like the Bedouin did and some still do, you want sturdy jewellery. None of the pretty dainty stuff.;)
    As an aside, most fundamentalists don't wear any jewellery.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  11. Joe Will

Joe Will New Member

Saudi Bedouin in my opinion. A family member bought a small bag of this type of rings, pendants and others in a flee market in Saudi Arabia in the 60's. Some are only turquoise/silver others have red beads, flower shape and there are even two in gold, old beaten up. See photo of one very similar to yours.

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry and reader like this.
  12. Janice Nicholls

Janice Nicholls Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted