Featured Turquoise and Coral Necklace ID

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ce BCA, Apr 21, 2022.

1. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on age/location of this necklace? Turquoise in matrix cabs and coral. Artisan style construction, the mounts all handmade to fit, links hand made too. Not convinced the lobster clasp is original as it was far less tarnished than the rest of the necklace and doesn't seem to suit it well. No marks at all aside 925 on the lobster clasp. The mounts test as silver, sterling or better, some green at the solder joints so they used a copper based solder. The turquoise looks typically NA, but I'm not getting much of a location sense from the design myself. Dangle cab 3 x 2.5cm, quite chunky overall, about 45cm length (wearable). TIA

IMG_20220421_154647065.jpg
    IMG_20220421_154652280.jpg
    IMG_20220421_154655752.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm not seeing any real age, tbh. It's very nice, but looks like a pretty modern design. Might be Indonesian.

It's not unsusual for lobster claws to be a bit brighter: rhodium on the silver.

kyratango, stracci, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Google Hubei turquoise.;) Lovely, fairly recently made Chinese, imo. Turquoise and coral is also a classic Chinese combination.
    (off again)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
  4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Aha, thanks, that does look like it. I'd suspected 1990's from the look and the other items it came with, (there were some receipts for other pieces from 1996 and 1998). It also makes sense why I wasn't getting any particular style cues from it. The turquoise is very nice in a folksy way and suits the artisan style. Shame there are no identifying marks at all.

Good point, hadn't thought of that, makes sense with the factory finding. I didn't suspect any significant age, but considered the clasp may had been damaged and replaced.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

As it may well have been. Or it had a toggle clasp and it made someone crazy who then swiched it out.

Ce BCA likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's lovely...
    but I doubt it's any fun to wear .......;):(

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd give it Hoard room and wear it.

Draft saved Draft deleted