Featured Turkish filigree silver and coin demi-tasse spoons and tongs set

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Bookahtoo, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

The set looks like it came in the box, which is paper covered cardboard with a satin lining. There are wood pieces underneath the cloth to hold the spoons snugly but most of them have fallen over - the glue has probably dried out.

I don't know that these are Turkish, but when similar came up on Google that's what people were calling them. There is Arabic looking writing on the coins. The person I got the set from said he had them tested at a jewelers and the jeweler said the coins were silver. I said what about the rest of it, and he said, I don't know, he only tested the coins. This sounds kind of sketchy but I bought them anyway.

Does anyone know when sets like this were popular and anything else about them?

DSCN6072.JPG

DSCN6077.JPG

DSCN6078.JPG

DSCN6080.JPG

DSCN6081.JPG

DSCN6083.JPG

Attached Files:

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I have the same tongs. The coins are Turkish and silver, but the rest isn't silver at all. It's hard to say about yours since I can't exactly acid test them. WAG - sugar set for a coffee service. The Turks use sugar cubes/lump sugar with their coffee traditionally IIRC.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The coins are Ottoman empire, 1327, year 7 of the reign of Mehmet. 5 kurush I think. One is dated 1916, so clearly no earlier than that, probably made after the Ataturk government superceded the Ottoman sultanate, so a rough guess would be the 1920s but could be much later, using available old coins.
    Not knowing the size I can't be sure I have the right denomination.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted