Featured Trying to identify a Large Owl hooting Clock

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Bwilliams728, Jun 15, 2022.

1. Bwilliams728

Bwilliams728 New Member

A619A9B5-9E55-4F72-8BCC-FBD56D7236DC.jpeg B5AF8717-4A0A-4AE3-A374-CC1C801B6D65.jpeg 35078C04-87F6-4F42-AC62-12442400E236.jpeg 2ACC583F-A761-4E1E-959E-F661DD39515A.jpeg I found a clock I have never seen before, A Antique Large Owl wall clock. The eyes move with the pendulum and it whoots at the top of the hour. It’s beak moves as well.This is a key wound clock. It has two key winds that are on the face. The clock size is 17x11x5 not including the pendulum. The pendulum is carved like the tail of an owl, has two places that weights can added. I was lucky enough to purchase another Owl that is exactly the same from him. They do have very slight carving differences between the two. The owner told me he thinks the movements are Japanese? I do not have pictures yet of the internals but will add as soon as I do. I have searched the web and found one that sold on eBay long ago, but no real information on the clock for the origin. Was looking for any information on these clocks, are they rare, and any value that could be put on them. Thank you much and as my first post I am looking forward to the feedback, and appreciate any information anyone can give!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2022
    cxgirl, Figtree3 and judy like this.
  2. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I know nothing about it but love it. if you can get in and see the clocks works yo might find information about at least where the clock works were made. Maybe Black forest is a search term. there are several on google but none quite like yours. I like the tail pendulum.

cxgirl likes this.
  3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Disclaimer, I am no clock expert, but I'm a fair to midland research person. Having said that, it appears to be a less refined copy of this:

[​IMG]

There was no real info to go along with this other than 1920s-1930s Black Forest

Given you found two very similar, and because of the decorative nature, it makes me wonder if these weren't tourist pieces or some such. But I'd not take this for anything other than my uneducated guess. Hang tight for others who will have a much better idea than I.

cxgirl, Figtree3, Roaring20s and 2 others like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I like your idea !!!
    the other clocks are nice, until u see the one @sabre123 posted ... which blows the others away.

5. Bwilliams728

Bwilliams728 New Member

Thank you everyone for your response! As soon as I get them home I will get some pictures of the inner workings! The clock collector I bought them from said he has seen 3 of these clocks in his 40 years of collecting and working on them. The two he had have been in his possession for years and years. I bought the one and he said nothing about selling the other but weeks later I asked if I could buy the other! He let me along with a hickory dickory, a very large 8 day hunters special that’s in its original box from 1965 that was $15.75! The owl is similar to the one @sabre123 posted but then again different. I wish they would have been that specific clock ! They very well could be the tourist style with all the colors! I still look forward to finding any information and will post more pics! Still getting used to this site and how to navigate!

cxgirl, sabre123 and komokwa like this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

They are very cute! I hope the pictures of the innards will help in evaluation. Too bad that one of them appears to be missing its clock hands. I'll assume you can replace them easily?

cxgirl likes this.
  7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  8. Bwilliams728

Bwilliams728 New Member

Thanks for responses! Yes the hands are being put back on it. Thank you for your kind words figtree3. And thank you Cxgirl, I hope $61 was just a bad bidding day! Even with the wrong pendulum and crack. I found a old post of a eBay sale that is the same clock with different colors. It sold for $475 will try to add those photos. It didn’t have any info in the add besides they dated it from 1860-1920’s….. with such limited info on them I’m still in hopes it is a rare bird!

Attached Files:

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That $475 is not what it sold for - it's some Buy it Now or Best Offer listings. I find it difficult to believe that the clock sold for that much.

Draft saved Draft deleted