Trying to ID napolean style throne chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Justin Mo, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Justin Mo

Justin Mo New Member

I just bought this chair from an auction for my pad and I was wondering if anyone could help my ID it. It appears to be hand carved and handmade copper springs underneath. IMG_83911.jpg IMG_83941.jpg IMG_83921.jpg IMG_83951.jpg IMG_83961_2.jpg IMG_83981.jpg

cxgirl likes this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I don't really see Napoleonic in this. I think some of the details are Louis XVI but it is more of a Victorian Frankenchair. Wood appears to be walnut.

3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Looks somewhat South American / Indonesian to me, the wood could be walnut or it could be a S.A. hardwood. Does the velvet appear to be original? It's finely carved. It's a nice chair for a pad - enjoy!

4. kristiaan

kristiaan Well-Known Member

Very uncommon! I agree it has som "empire " details; the wreath
    in the outer circle of the back and the small details we get to sea on pic 4.
    However the flowers makes me say British. For the detail under the arm rest I would say Henri II.
    Never seen something like it.

5. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

I hope you got him a crown as a go-with!

6. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Zakly!

Don't put it in your bedroom or late at night you'll hear a deep, sad, echoing voice saying "Justin! Justin!...." And this has nothing to do with the 37 episodes of The Twilight Zone I watched over the past 3 days.

cxgirl likes this.
  7. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

That is a neat chair! What type of feet are those?

8. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

COOL CHAIR!!! With those feet, are you sure it's not a well disguised transformer biding it's time? (Clump, Clump :eek: )

cxgirl likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think it's Dutch or German.

10. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

>...details are Louis XVI but it is more of a Victorian Frankenchair...<

Gee, this chair was a mystery to me! I can see the medallion-shape style back that screams Louis XVI to me like Brad said, but all the heavy caving threw me. The chair seemed like a contradiction from Louis XVI style top to the heavy handedness of Gothic style arms, legs, etc. Now with OBB throwing in Dutch and German, it also makes sense.

Question what is "Frankenchair"? Does it mean a mishmash, hodgepodge, of styles?

--- Susan

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Exactly!

12. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

If it were a commode chair those straining knobs would make sense. :)

Ladybranch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted