Trying to ID maker of 2 figurines - partial circular mark visible on one of them

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by gimbler-dave, Jan 2, 2015.

1. gimbler-dave

gimbler-dave Well-Known Member

Does anyone know who the maker of these figurines is? There is a partial mark visible on one of them, but I can't make it out. Thanks in advance! ... Dave (& Happy 2015 to all!)
    db_figurines_1.JPG
    db_figurines_2.JPG
    db_figurines_3.JPG

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The number scratched into the bottom of one, and embossed on the other, seems odd. I hope somebody recognizes the traces of the mark, or knows the style!

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Is one heavier than the other? Looks like the woman was slip-cast but maybe the man wasn't? My guess is eastern European and the lettering is Cyrillic, which won't make things any easier

4. gimbler-dave

The man weighs just over 16 oz, the woman is 14 oz. Both look like they were manufactured the same, although the difference between the numbers on the underside is odd. The man has extensive crazing; the woman has a fair amount, but the lines are less obvious (have to look with a magnifying glass to really see). Both show pinholes through the glaze, more so than on typical figurines.

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Funny, I was also thinking Cyrillic, but it was based on intuition. I couldn't see anything well enough to make out any letters.

6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Both were cast from slip. The hole and number for the man were incised when the slip was still damp.

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The man may be solid rather than hollow, accounting for the type of vent hole. It may indicate that the man is older than the woman, the method of manufacture changing in the interval.

gimbler-dave likes this.
  8. gimbler-dave

Here's a closer view of the mark, with a bit of sharpening added, but still can't make anything out.
    db_figurines_4.JPG

9. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Probably way off base, but whenever I see that circle with lettering in it, I always think Czechoslovakia.

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking too. A quick Google turned up Czech folk clothing that looks the same, but they've changed the colors up a bit. Chances are these were some kind of souvenir ware.

11. gimbler-dave

I was wondering if the clothing might provide a clue.

Draft saved Draft deleted