Trying to ID location of this old city harbor/skyline engraving

Discussion in 'Art' started by Curioser, Sep 21, 2023.

1. Curioser

Curioser Well-Known Member

Found this while going thru boxes of old stock. I don't know if the location is US or somewhere else. It's small at 5 1/2" by 4" but very detailed. The harbor has what look to be steam tug boats, some sort of very long boat with a high angled pole in foreground, a large boat with a central "house" and an arrangement of spikes fore and aft (one tall central one and 3-4 shorter at the base) and something that looks like a 2-deck ferry at left near right side of tree. Foreground has a fenced walk, a warehouse?, a boat with more of the spiked rigging and a 2-horse drawn wagon.

The skyline is distinctive for its time. And there are two arched structures which seem to have enclosed side walls at midground toward the center/right. I don't think they are bridges, maybe some sort of boat docking or protection things? Probably a terrible description but I am not great at describing water vessels or architecture.

The signature looks like a C or something else, a space, and then a name tat stars with "P" and has 3-4 letters after. There is a short gap and a sloppy "C" or maybe just a slip of ink.

It has a crisp foil label "Croston Art Shop 380 Boylston St Boston" on back. Only thing I can find there is a modern lamp shop. No mention of the shop online. This has been a major Boston street as far back as 1722, known as Frog Street, later renamed to "Boylston" after Nicholas Ward Boylston, 1747-1828. I would guess the name was changed after his death but I can't find that out either.

So, can anyone hazard a guess at the locale? Or signature? I tried to sharpen it but it got fuzzier. Thanks for your contributions! Engraving Harbor Scene 2.JPG Engraving Harbor Scene 1.JPG

komokwa likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. Curioser

Fabulous! I took a photo to Google Image search but have been sleep deprived and sick for days and forgot--only minutes after I took it! THANK YOU!

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Wall Street is unrecognizable now, isn't it?

Debora

images.jpeg

5. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

Rats! Just ONCE could y'all post something to which I have the answer, BEFORE anyone else sees it?!

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You've just got to get up earlier. ;)

Debora

Potteryplease, mirana and komokwa like this.
  7. silverbell

:( :( I might be able to get up...physically...but to function on a reasoning level? Not so much!

mirana, Debora and komokwa like this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Many of the Shutz prints currently for sale are from a book of collected works. Looks like you have an original. This is in a different league of value.

mirana and silverbell like this.
  9. Curioser

Tell us when you're on and we'll try to time it for you! :cat:

komokwa likes this.
  10. silverbell

Thank you!! Love your Wabbit, by the way!

11. Curioser

Tank you berry mush! BTW I'm total rubbish before noon and not much brighter after!

Draft saved Draft deleted