Trying to ID and value Chinese Cloisonnes...

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by vertigofm, Jun 5, 2017.

1. vertigofm

vertigofm New Member

4.jpg Hi Everyone,

So, my uncle, who collects art and antiques, sent a pair of these cloissones to my parents as a gift- saying they could keep them or sell them.

He said they are 14th/15th century, and about $3,000 in value.

My parents- who aren't very technically literate- asked me for my help in identifying these and getting a current valuation. I know it may be hard doing this online, but I have no idea where to start!

Thanks so much!

More pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/VYCji

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Please post all the photos to the thread rather than posting a link. Also, when you post a photo please choose "Full Image" rather than "Thumbnail", see below. The photo will be large in your post (like mine is) so we won't have to click on the little image to see the full size one.
    PickFullImage.jpg

3. vertigofm

vertigofm New Member

Oh OK, I'm sorry and thank you!

judy likes this.
  4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Oh no, don't apologize! We have all been new here and we are always learning :)

judy likes this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Can we see the bottom, also looking down into the neck, please?
    I rather doubt they are as old as he says.
    The rolled top and the lack of details look more 1950s.
    I'm not an expert, this is just my opinion.

Here is an archived site for you to look at.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20130921111332/http://idcloisonne.com/index.html

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think the earliest those are is late 19th, but more likely to be early 20th.

judy likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Hello vertigofm, welcome.
    This Chinese cloisonné vase is beautiful, and made using the bright colours that were characteristic in the Ming period, 1369-1644. Which is probably why your uncle thought they were from that period. However, the enamel is too perfect and shiny for Ming. This video made by the British Museum explains what Ming cloisonné looks like:

8. vertigofm

vertigofm New Member

Thank you Any Jewelry for your help.

So I'm guessing it's probably not worth much, huh?

9. Any Jewelry

It is still worth something, just not as much as Ming cloisonné;). Mind you, I think Ming cloisonné for $3000 is a bargain, although you never wrote how tall they are.
    The one in the picture is very nice, and if there is no damage, there is certainly some value. You can google 'pair of vintage Ming style cloisonné vases' to find out about the value.

10. vertigofm

vertigofm New Member

Hi Any Jewlery,

They're about 12-14 inches tall. One of the pair has a small chip, but nothing major.

I've looked around but am having trouble getting a price estimation. If I really was serious about selling, where could I start? Should I get them valued? Throw 'em on an auction site?

Thanks!

11. khl889

khl889 Well-Known Member

Cloisonee -- unless it's very very special -- gets classed pretty firmly in my mind as a decorative item not a collectible, and prices reflect that. It's nice, but there's just too much of it around.

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yup. I'd see them at about £100 to £150 retail here.

13. Any Jewelry

A chip, however small, is damage. Nowadays Chinese buyers determine the market for antique and vintage Chinese objects, and they want pristine pieces.
    Getting them valued would cost too much in comparison to the value.
    It is probably best to take them to a local auctioneer, let them give you an estimate, and set a reserve price just below the lower part of the estimate. They will advise you on that.

Draft saved Draft deleted