Trying to find info on bedroom set

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by PLwarped59, Nov 2, 2016.

1. PLwarped59

PLwarped59 New Member

I have a bedroom set that was my mother's and aunt's when there were little girls. It says "Country Squire solid northern cherry by Cherokee" on the inside of a dresser drawer. The set has two twin canopy/poster beds, night stand, two dressers, and two mirrors. All of it is a green colour. I can't find any information on the pieces anywhere and I can't ask my grandparents as they are both deceased. My mom and aunt don't know anything about the set other than they have had it since they were young. The set should be around 50 years old. I can take pictures if it helps. I hope someone out there can help me.

2. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Welcome! There are a number of people here that could probably help you, but they are going to require photos! Please post them as Full Image as most here will not click on any links, etc.

3. PLwarped59

PLwarped59 New Member

Took some pictures.

Attached Files:

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Probably from the 60s or so. The styling is colonial with some Chippendale influence. I am not familiar with the company but, being solid cherry, they are probably pretty good quality. I doubt the paint is original since there would be no reason to use cherry if they were to be factory painted. If they were my family heirloom, I would be tempted to strip them back to the cherry. Otherwise, it is just used furniture at this point and a distressed off-white paint treatment would bring these to current trend.

Bakersgma likes this.
  5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Hmmm... I'm with Brad - definitely 1960's. Mid-1960's, most likely. (Personally, I think the style was rather ubiquitous at that time...)

My 3 sisters & I each had quite similar bedroom suites (all with canopy beds) from Henredon, purchased around 1965. All were solid cherry, but my 2 younger sisters' furniture was that off-white painted with a bit of gold "French Provincial" finish that was so popular then.

Meanwhile, my good friend Bonnie had the Ethan Allen version in a lighter cherry finish than mine, and another friend, Sharon, had an unknown manufacturer's version in the off-white & gold "French Provincial" finish.

My older sister & I had sets in dark cherry. She had the traditional canopy on her bed; I chose the flat-top canopy for mine... (I actually still have most of my own childhood furniture, including the bed [which my daughter also used when she was little] as well as some of my youngest sister's.)

Anyway, I think this may have been the manufacturer of your set: Cherokee Furniture Co of Bryson City, NC.
    I didn't find a whole lot about the company, but here's a bit:

The company had its beginning in 1903 under the name of Bryson City Pump Works. In 1925, the company name was changed to Carolina Wood Turning Company. Over forty years later, at the end of 1966, it merged with Magnavox. It was acquired by Singer in 1973. The year 1986 marked the plant closure. In addition to these official corporate names, it was also called Cherokee Furniture, Consolidated Furniture, and – to many a local family – simply “The Plant.”

The Plant provided a steady source of employment for many families in Swain and surrounding counties for over three-quarters of a century. Its use of the fine area timber also provided income to local loggers and truckers. A full range of top quality home furniture as well as a variety of wood products including ricer rollers and porch columns were manufactured and sold throughout the United States. During World War II, the plant went into full-time war support, manufacturing flare bodies and munitions containers.

(from: Turning Back Time: Celebrating the World of Carolina Wood Turning Company
    — Written By Dee Deckerand last updated byMelissa Vaughn
    https://swain.ces.ncsu.edu/2015/05/...g-the-world-of-carolina-wood-turning-company/)

Cherokee Furniture etal BriefCompanyHistory.jpeg

There is also a mention of Cherokee Furniture in The Waynesville (NC) Mountaineer newspaper on Feb 20, 1950, when a representative of the company was scheduled to visit a Mexican lumber firm. The trip was to be an inspection tour, particularly focusing on that firm’s growing, cultivating and manufacturing of mahogany.
    (newspapers.digitalnc.org/lccn/sn92074106/1950-02-20/ed.../seq-1.pdf)

I honestly don't think there's a great demand for this type of furniture right now, but the long & short of it is that the pieces ARE functional, and there are still a lot of little girls who love canopy beds, so someone out there may want it.

Figtree3 and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted