Truck/Train air horn?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Rayo56, May 14, 2016.

1. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Was wondering if this horn came from a train or a semi truck - or just made to be put on whatever you want. When I hook it up to an air hose the sound is a lower pitch and pretty loud (that's why I'm leaning towards a train horn). The horns are 15 & 12 inches long. I added the brass fitting so I could make it work. It does have some numbers on it as 2 of the pics shows. Any info would be appreciated.

000_7101.jpg 000_7102.jpg 000_7103.jpg 000_7100.jpg 000_7104.jpg
    I don't remember where or when I got this but do know I've had it for as long as I can recall.

KingofThings likes this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Truck I think. Electric locomotive is probably larger.

Rayo56 likes this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Not necessarily; if these were off a switcher they wouldn't be any larger. Diesel switchers even use some truck parts.

Aquitaine, KingofThings and Rayo56 like this.
  4. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I noticed this particular locomotive horn on the internet. Somewhat to what I have but interesting all the well! I like the way the air/steam is plumbed with actual iron pipe and fittings. And a Union, wonder why? because the horns need maintenance or the plumbing would rust from the steam and the air pressure would punch holes? Interesting
    upload_2016-5-14_18-11-47.png

KingofThings likes this.
  5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Probably to replace them and to simply take them off to knock the funk out of them... ;)

Rayo56 and komokwa like this.
  6. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

7. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

That is too high of a pitch compared to mine! Mine is much lower. Don't know how to post video with sound!!

8. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

I didn't listen to it. It came up as the same part # as yours. The sound difference could be a a result of 2 different things. The air pressure in which they are operated and if memory serves me, there is an adjustment on these types of horns that changes the sound (It may be that Allen Screw in the middle of the horn)

Rayo56 likes this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Those look and sound so neat.....but I have a feeling in MY town they'd have me under lock and key in half a second for excessive noise!!!!!:smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin: BUT, boys and their toys!!!! The FUN never ends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

Rayo56 likes this.
  10. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Good information. I'll have to check it out.

Draft saved Draft deleted