Translation please

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 808 raver, Apr 2, 2024.

1. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

5e525a37-e465-4331-8a90-db853280126f.jpg Hi guys, I bought a lot with 5 boxes in and one was Palekh Russian Lacquer Box but I can't make out if this is a signature or not. I think the middle word is "emelya" and relates to the subject of the painting being the pike and the wish (TY Any) but the outside words I have no clue. This is about the best photo I can get, the type is tiny.

komokwa likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not a bad pic......could we see the box too ??

@IvaPan

Figtree3 and 808 raver like this.
  3. 808 raver

s-l1600 (52).jpg s-l1600 (51).jpg
    I'm sorry, I use my wife's phone and she is busy ATM but I do have photos of the lot I bought

Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I thought it was that box....... but you have lots of boxes.....so...just to be sure !!!
    :happy::happy:

808 raver likes this.
  5. 808 raver

I know I have a problem with boxes :nailbiting::happy: but I'm getting help by buying enough to keep the urges at bay :happy: yes it's the black box at the bottom of the group of boxes

komokwa likes this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

7. 808 raver

5e525a37-e465-4331-8a90-db853280126f - Copy.jpg I've tried to make it clearer

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Normally I would try to give it a guess, but the white swoopy lines painted through the final words are making the letters too indistinct for me. I'm not a native speaker, though, just a language lover.

Komo already tagged @IvaPan . I'll also tag @Aznathalie . There is another, more recent, member who I think knows Russian and has helped with translations but unfortunately I can't recall the user name.

komokwa and 808 raver like this.
  9. 808 raver

Thank you for trying, It's very hard to see what has been written in the last 2 words.

10. Aznathalie

Aznathalie Well-Known Member

Hello! (Russian: Палех)Ancient center of Russian folk craft - Palekh lacquer miniatures and icon painting. "Емеля" The Tale of Emelya the Fool) is a common plot of a magical folk tale among the Eastern Slavs. The last two words are executed (исп.Белова) Belova.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2024
  11. 808 raver

How fantastic, I didn't think anybody could decipher the last 2 words, thank you ever so much. I'm sure I'm being stupid here and please forgive me but the "(исп.Белова) Belova." is that a place name or a artist name?

12. 808 raver

I'm not entirely sure I've found out how to look this up but I assume "Palekh" is the region? and "Емеля" The Tale of Emelya the Fool, I know is the subject of the painting and (исп.Белова) Belova is the name of the artist? If so, here https://www.russianlacquerart.com/artists/ I can look up the artist and their name is Belova Vera Dmitrievna? I do hope I'm not being stupid here lol

13. Aznathalie

Aznathalie Well-Known Member

14. 808 raver

Draft saved Draft deleted