Translation please

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Brian Warshaw, Jul 24, 2023.

1. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

I think this vase is perfect, I couldn't pass it by. Blue and white, perfectly balanced proportionally, and simple scenic decoration. Perfect tranquillity. And it was inexpensive.

I imagine it is a modern reproduction by way on mentioning 'limited edition'.

Width: 13.5cm
    Height: 12.0cm
    Depth 3.5cm

@Any Jewelry
    All I need is to know about it, and I hope the translation on the base will reveal it.

Thank you.

Holland Vase A.jpg

Holland Vase B.jpg

Holland Vase C.jpg

Holland Vase E.jpg

Holland Vase J.jpg

Holland Vase I.jpg

bercrystal and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You're absolutely right.:) It is lovely and elegant.
    Also perfect.;)

Regina was a Gouda manufacturer. The factory closed in 1979, so this isn't brand new.
    They made Delft style ceramics from 1935 until the end.
    Going by the shape, I think this is a 70s vase.

I wonder if C. Ammerlaan is Corry Ammerlaan, a Dutch sculptress. I'll see if I can find a link between her and Regina.

Limited edition doesn't mean that it is a reproduction.
    Maybe the limited edition was made for Willemse? Willemse is a common surname, and someone named Willemse could have commissioned this vase.
    @say_it_slowly can probably tell us more.:)

3. Any Jewelry

Yes, the design is by Corry Ammerlaan for Regina.
    But I find designs she did for Regina in the 1990s, so we need SIS for more information on Regina after 1979.

https://www.marktplaats.nl/v/antiek...669-corry-ammerlaan-v-regina-gouda-bord-19-cm

Edit:
    The name Regina was sold to Artihove, a giftware company which specializes in corporate gifts, often designed by artists.
    Artihove sold ceramics under the Regina name until 1993. I don't know exactly who manufactured the ceramics.
    So that explains why Regina (Artihove) worked with Corry Ammerlaan in the (early) 1990s.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
  4. Any Jewelry

5. Brian Warshaw

@Any Jewelry
    Since you pointed me in the right direction, I have found that the vase was made by Van der Want & Barras Kunstaardefabriek Regina, Gouda.
    Their Mark, a Crown, with below it WB. It is visible just below Regina.

Thank you for your knowledge, it really is amazing.

6. Any Jewelry

I think that is the original factory, which closed in 1979.
    Van der Want was the founder of the factory, in 1898. He came from a long line of ceramicists. Barras financed the whole thing, he was a Belgian banker and art collector.
    But that factory closed, and the name Regina was bought by Artihove.
    What I understand is that they could use the old way of marking as well.
    Your vase was made during the Artihove period, so presumably not in the van der Want & Barras Kunstaardefabriek (art earth factory), which closed in 1979.

7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I can't offer much more. The two references I have were both printed in 1998 so not really current.

The mark of script Regina with crown and WB was used 1945 onward according to Van Hook in Discovering Dutch Delftware.
    upload_2023-7-24_22-2-38.png

The history after closing in 1979 is slightly different in each book so I've attached both.

From - Discovering Dutch Delfware upload_2023-7-24_22-3-8.png

From - The World of Gouda Pottery by Ritvo:
    upload_2023-7-24_22-4-29.png

Attached Files:

8. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

Beautiful Vase

9. Brian Warshaw

@say_it_slowly
    Thank you for those.

say_it_slowly and komokwa like this.
  10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Yikes, you'd think I could spell "Delftware" by now:inpain:. The book is "Discovering Dutch Delftware":rolleyes:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

I hadn't even noticed.:joyful:
    Don't worry, I won't tell the good people of Delft.;)

say_it_slowly likes this.
  12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Would this still be called a moon vase, even though it isn't Asian?

Draft saved Draft deleted