Tough One: Childs Doll Dresser from 1700s?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Mike Mazz, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Mike Mazz

Mike Mazz New Member

Hi Folks...

I pretty much know nothing about these things but I thought this was a pretty interesting thing I scoped out while my wife was browsing other things. Apparently the store we were looking around at didnt know much but felt they could priced this at $250. Any thoughts on it? CAM00239.jpg

2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Welcome to our forum!! :happy::happy:

To make even a SWAG, the folks here will need to see the back & bottom of the piece as well as the construction of the drawers.

Peggy

Mike Mazz likes this.
  3. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I haven't handled any of this stuff for over a decade, and of course there is little detail to assist in an evaluation, but my first "gut" instinct is Spain/Portugal anywhere from 1870 to 1930. I don't think it is anywhere near as old as claimed..........but that is gut with no detail so.......................

4. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

First impression is that it is a (kind of) fake.
    The paint looks like it has been scuffed to look old.

komokwa, tie.dye.cat and Mike Mazz like this.
  5. Mike Mazz

Mike Mazz New Member

Ok maybe ill try and get some more pictures of it back and underside I guess! Thanks for the quick reply folks!

6. Mike Mazz

Mike Mazz New Member

Thanks...yeah I have no idea..but looking and handling it and pulling out the drawers it does "seem" very old but no clue. The place I checked it out at has a pretty good reputation but right you never know. Ill try and get more pictures to help identify if any.

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

at best, it doesn't look old enough, well made enough, or in the condition that they would like you to think it is.

Plus...I don't like the sign.

Mike Mazz likes this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Oh please. No 18th C craftsman or even country carpenter would have made anything as clunky or badly done as that. No dolls house furniture would be that big and miniature chests of drawers weren't actually meant for dolls.

$250 is absurd. I'm with it being a relatively recent thing, by which I mean 20th C. It'd be interesting to test that paint. ;)

afantiques, komokwa and Mike Mazz like this.
  9. Mike Mazz

Mike Mazz New Member

ha funny just to clarify it isnt for a doll house..it is ( well at least what they say) it is for dolls clothing..which if that were true it seems to be about the right size. Otherwise yep I have no idea of when it was constructed..in person it does look much older than 20th century though. what do I know lol

10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This is modern Indonesian. Have seen many of these over the years and used to carry a line of such stuff in my furniture store in the 90s. When you see stuff like this being misrepresented, it has to bring in to question all the other items in the store.

yourturntoloveit and komokwa like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Brad, agreed.

Mike, dolls clothing wasn't stored like that. Much of it could not even be removed!

komokwa and Mike Mazz like this.
  12. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think its a jewelry box made in the 60s-70s. These were trendy for a while,mostly out of Italy. I had one that looked like a miniature secretary .

13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Johnny,

The ones out of Italy in the 60s and 70s were made better than this and of thinner stock. These are of so-called plantation mahogany and of pretty poor quality. You can see how the drawers fit poorly in this. Those rusted iron ring pulls are also a telling feature.

komokwa and johnnycb09 like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

The Italian ones I've seen were usually rather nicely gilded and a bit baroque.

komokwa likes this.
  15. Mike Mazz

Mike Mazz New Member

agreed..this may be a part of a consignment part of the store so maybe they aren't aware..in either case you guys are a great help! Ill move on from this one lol

16. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I was suspicious of this one from the moment I saw the photo. However, being that I know almost nothing about furniture, I decided to remain neutral. I was confident that Brad would come along & know for sure. :D:D

Glad everyone was able to help you out. :happy::happy:

Peggy

komokwa likes this.
  17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

After all the comments here....& you're making excuses for them.....after noticing that honkin big sign.......I wouldn't !

18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

There's no way that's legit; the wear patterns are all wrong, for starters. Any dealer who handles painted items would have known it was off. If it were $20 and I liked it, I'd buy it; any more than that probably not.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted