Featured TOTALLY NOT SURE WHERE TO POST THIS, SO here's my best shot......if

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Aquitaine, Jan 2, 2023.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

there are any coin hounds here besides or RATHER INCLUDING @daveydempsey I'm asking for your eyes, please, as I have NO IDEA at the moment what I have here. I believe my Dad was going to dabble in coins at some point, but backed off, thankfully, but here's what I have: I dug this out a year or so ago and it's on my computer, I will dig again for exact measurements, but for the moment, it's either approximately 1/2" or 3/4" diameter......I actually can't read it, I think it's gold....I don't want to put any acid anywhere near it not knowing what I have!! Front and Back as below, and thank you SO MUCH if you can be of any help!!! And if you need better pictures, I will re-do them..........the ribbon has nothing to do with it...he had it in a little jewelry box...

IMG_0919.jpg IMG_0922.jpg

dude, Dessert58, KikoBlueEyes and 4 others like this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG]

looks like an homage to a Spanish escudo...........
    Pirate treasure, me hardys........ Shiver me timbers !!!!:woot:

4. Aquitaine

Well, having posted it, I can finally make out REX on the cross side…..would love to find a date……so far, thank you both for finding what you have….I’ll include a pic with it in my gloved hand…..it IS smaller than what you’re showing me, and they (parents) had it in a safe dep. box til they both passed, and I’ve obviously never found any kind of receipt!

dude and komokwa like this.
  5. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Cast copy

dude and antidiem like this.
  6. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

I think Medallion. Composition ? I see no date. Spanish or Portuguese possibly.

dude and antidiem like this.
  7. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

How the heck is there a smiley face in the middle of your link and yet the link still works? LOL.

Just for the sake of knowledge, I just wanted to post here that if you have a big link like that, you can resize it using https://www.shorturl.at/

You copy the large link, enter it into the box at the above URL, and it will provide a smaller link for you to copy and paste into wherever your posting.

Hope you don't think I'm picking on you SIS, just the smiley face gave me a laugh.

8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Agree with Terry and think it to be purely decorative for the gold value.
    Now let's wait to see what the coin expert(s) think...?

dude likes this.
  9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

No worries:):):):):):):):) I don't think I actually used a smiley face when posting that but don't remember as I do stick them on posts all the time. I saw that it came out very long with a smiley but I figured it wasn't me it was them;). I do tend to be direct in my worded delivery sometimes so try to soften my wording and flourish it somehow so as not to seem snippy.

(I did try to do a little research on a silver real after someone found one on a dig I participated in one time and found looking great fun! Piece-of-eight to the pirate mob...... ARRR mi hearties!)

dude, tie.dye.cat and komokwa like this.
  10. Aquitaine

Well, having posted it, I can finally make out REX on the cross side…..would love to find a date……so far, thank you both

dude and komokwa like this.
  11. Aquitaine

OK, I finally put together the coin in proper orientation with measurements, and I've not tested it.....yet.....but am going to say gold...at least 14K to my eye....I've tried to (digitally) 'quiet' it down a bit to see if easier to read, and enlarge.....front & back are in correct orientation to each other & in case I didn't write the measurements right, it's 9 1/2 - 16ths inch....in size....small by golly- but enlarged for here!!! I think in re-reading what was posted, @komokwa came closest with what he posted to mine but still different......still hoping to see the same..... @daveydempsey, is this out of your 'wheelhouse'???

QUESTION COIN.jpg

antidiem likes this.
  12. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

A look at the edges will help you see the casting lines

antidiem and Aquitaine like this.
  13. Aquitaine

@say_it_slowly, I've JUST had the time to get through the links you too posted..... MY GOODNESS, THERE seems to be a LOT of this type out there, even though I've not yet seen just the same!!! THANKS for posting them....Makes me really look!!!!

antidiem likes this.
  14. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Poorly cast "replica".

antidiem likes this.
  15. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

IMO, not a coin, no date or royal crown (headpiece).

..if Antiques Board(1).png S..if Antiques Board(2).png
    Pseudo token, probably cast, not coined IMO, however, you should wait/seek other more learned opinions. But I likey mucho!!:cool::cool:

Coin photos snitched from @komokwa w/o permission. :p

Aquitaine, antidiem and komokwa like this.
  16. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

It would have to be seen in hand rather than photos to tell if it is genuine or a replica.
    As Terry said it may have casting marks on the edge.

17. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Aqui, sounds like an in person evaluation would make sense if you don't see casting lines on the side. I know your parents had some pretty enviable collectibles in their lives from things you've posted here.

Aquitaine likes this.
  18. Aquitaine

Sounds like both Davey and you have made the correct decision for me.....I will have to take it to someone!!! I don't have any clue as to what "casting lines" even should look like, and am hopeful Dad didn't get 'taken for a ride' - so to speak!!! Thank you one and all for your input!! MOST APPRECIATED!!

Robert Ransom, komokwa and Lucille.b like this.
  19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

he could have enjoyed it for what it is.....without it needing to be a treasure....!:happy:

Aquitaine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted