Tonala pottery

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Casimiro, Feb 2, 2022.

1. Casimiro

Casimiro New Member

Does the absence of any writing or stamps on the bottom of a Tonala water jug suggest the piece was made before the 1950s upload_2022-2-2_10-26-53.jpeg ?

KikoBlueEyes and Aquitaine like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. Could be that old but just as likely on in to the 70s.

KikoBlueEyes and Fid like this.
  3. Casimiro

Casimiro New Member

Thank you, verybrad. I have ended up with several of these water jugs and have been wondering about dating indicators. How about palette: items with muted greys, greens, and roses older than items with "louder" and brighter yellows, reds, and blues? Or decoration: items decorated with stylized vegetation and wildlife older than items showing villages, donkeys, and men in sombreros? Without some such indicators, assertions that a particular Tonala jug or pitcher is "vintage" or "antique" are meaningless.

4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@Debora knows something about Tonala pottery, I think. Maybe she would comment on palette and design over time periods?

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thank you but sorry... Can only recognize it when I see it.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted