Featured Tokoname dragon vase miniature, Japan. Info please?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Any Jewelry, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me more about my little Japanese dragon vase?
    @Mat maybe? Anyone else?
    All I have found so far is that most (all?) of the Tokoname dragon ware is Meiji period (1868-1912).
    Is there a site with Tokoname marks? Gotheborg has one mark, but mine is different.

This is the only one I have found so far with a dragon of a lighter tone than the vase itself. It is not as yellow in real life as on the photos, funny light today.
    The dark 'stuff' in the swirls of the clouds is not dirt, I have seen it on more Tokoname ware.
    upload_2018-9-28_18-43-55.jpeg
    upload_2018-9-28_18-44-17.jpeg
    upload_2018-9-28_18-44-48.jpeg

The same marks in black and white, the square one is a bit sloppy, maybe this helps:
    upload_2018-9-28_18-48-31.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

You probably already know the vase shape is a Double Gourd, right?

Pat P, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Yes, but thanks anyway.:)

judy, clutteredcloset49 and Pat P like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Looks like not a bad size for a snuff bottle.

Pat P, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

It does.:happy:
    Someone else had an idea like that too. It came with a jade bead stopper which looked far too recent for the vase, maybe only ten yrs old.
    Inside were what looked like tiny blackened bits of twigs. Like burnt herbs, not snuff tobacco or medicinal herbs. And no sweet smell or gunge on the bottom, like with genuine used bottles.

judy likes this.
  6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I didn't know there were snuff bottles. Were all small Asian bottles used for snuff, or were some bud vases?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

We have some snuff bottle threads, which include some of my collection. Really worth taking a look at, they are little works of art.
    Many Asian bottles were just miniature vases. In the early years of snuff bottles, the bottles were actually miniature vases with an added spoon and stopper.

judy and Pat P like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

9. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

i need help, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Been there.:) Zombie state comes naturally to me.
    I thought you must have known, but I didn't want to say "you silly girl....":playful: Still don't.:bag:

i need help and Pat P like this.
  11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

aaroncab, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

That's very nice of you... thank you. :kiss:

i need help, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Hi AJ. I had no idea that gourds (vegetables) were grown in Japan, but it appears they were introduced from Africa 1000's of years ago. The pods were dried and used as saki pots (also news to me) as well as tied with rope and carried on belts as a water bottle, which was popular with wandering samurai. Looking at your vase, I wonder if it could have been used for a small saki hit? :dead: Or, given the contents, could it have been for burning sticks of incense (gourds were apparently used in tea ceremonies) or as a herb pot?
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I learn something new here all the time. Good luck with the mark.

judy, Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Thanks Hunting, you never know, maybe some of them made dragon vases as well. I'll start a search with vase in hand.:pompous:
    I'll also try the other link, thanks again.:kiss:

aaroncab, i need help and judy like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

17. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I've only seen wall pockets but they didn't interest me enough to collect and were tough to sell. I don't remember any being signed. I may have one or two around if you'd like me to post them.
    Don

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted