Featured Tokoname- Clay dragon vase - how old?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by aaroncab, Oct 14, 2018.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I believe the material on this dragon in the clouds vase is yixing clay - or very similar. I've found a few similar dragon vases online(none this shape though). Some that claim to be 100 years old or so, but I don't know authentically when this type of vase was made/if it's still being made.

This one is 7"(18cm) high. The body is about 5-1/4"(13cm) in diameter. Weighs 21 ounces(712 gm).

This one seems to have very little wear on the base. There is some remnants of gold paint in the dragon's scales, along with some dirt/dark colored gunk. Not marked anywhere. Any ideas on age? Thanks much once again!

31421031628_0a281f46aa_kdev.jpg 45245906312_3452e37dbf_kdev.jpg 45245918412_dc0580ee35_kdev.jpg 45245915702_83e5e5e81b_kdev.jpg 45295394731_e49a9cd167_kdev.jpg 44572925094_3e3dda8908_kdev.jpg 45245921722_128a740da6_kdev.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

3. aaroncab

Thank you AJ! I knew I had seen something similar on here recently but couldn't find it! Japanese makes sense... I'm guessing most of the ones I'm seeing online labeled as Chinese are probably wrong. Tokoname puts me on the right path... which is where I want to be!

4. Any Jewelry

Don't we all....
    If you find out more, will you let me know?:)

5. aaroncab

Most certainly.

Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

@Any Jewelry have you checked with that Asian Forum you joined a while ago?
    I was just searching for the thread, but can’t find it. (Maybe you remember)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    Bronwen, Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. aaroncab

Do you mind if I post the pictures of your dragon vase to a Facebook Japanese pottery group?

8. Any Jewelry

No, I didn't even think of that. I found with other subjects that I gave more answers than I got.:confused:

9. Any Jewelry

Please do.:happy::kiss:
    I am especially interested in the maker and the period. I think it is Meiji, but if it could be narrowed down..... And it could be useful to others out there as well, there seems to be little info.

Bronwen, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  10. aaroncab

As you mentioned in your other thread it sure does seem like these are pretty exclusively meiji...or thereabouts. Yes that's my hope that someone will recognize the maker/mark.

Bronwen, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  11. aaroncab

Here's some help with the mark/characters...from the FB group:

The oval seal on the left reads 吉祥 Kichiyō; the square seal is a quote from Chinese 嵩山少林 (read in Japanese, Sūzan Shōrin; in Chinese Sōng Shān Shàolín).

12. Any Jewelry

Oh wonderful, thank you so much, Aaron.:kiss: And please thank whoever helped on the FB group for me.
    I haven't been able to find Kichiyō yet, but at least I am a lot closer.

Sōng Shān Shàolín is an important Shaolin monastery, a world heritage site on or near mount Song:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaolin_Monastery
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Song

The monastery has had links with Japan for centuries, maybe my vase was commissioned by the monastery? Early souvenir, 'made in Japan'?;)
    Whatever the reason for putting the Sōng Shān Shàolín seal on, I like the extra connection to an important historical and spiritual site.

Did you get any information on your vase?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  13. Any Jewelry

Aaron, I just edited my post, because in the excitement I forgot to ask about your vase.:sorry:

14. aaroncab

No worries...I haven't posted mine on FB yet...will tonight.

Bronwen, Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. i need help

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  16. aaroncab

17. aaroncab

I haven't got much feedback on the FB thread on my vase other than 2 folks agreeing that they think its Meiji period. The fellow who offered up the translation on @Any Jewelry's vase agrees that it is possibly a souvenir type object - but he isn't sure.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    Bronwen, Any Jewelry, judy and 2 others like this.
  18. i need help

Ohh Heck! I just checked that link I had posted. I swear it had a description under it with keywords. I will look again.

Bronwen, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  19. aaroncab

There were keywords but the only keyword on there that I hadn't seen before was "Parian" which doesn't seem to apply at all - not sure why they tagged it as such. (And i was talking about my FB thread - that's where I hadn't got much feedback :) )

20. i need help

Oh ok, Parian wouldn’t be right. Dopey “Pinhead”! (Not you Aaron, I mean Pinterest.) :hilarious::banghead::)

Draft saved Draft deleted