Featured TODAY'S FIND! CHINESE ASYMMETRICAL DISPLAY CASE? (Is that the name?) MADE w/PEGS, NOT NAILS!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Mar 28, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I got this beautiful piece at a new thrift store I found - for only $75! Trying to find another I cane across the name 'Asymmetrical bookcase open" - is that what this is called?
    Also none of the ones I found had the lattice sides like mine?
    Finally, bringing it inside on a hand truck I noticed on the top corner that it was put together with tongue & groove and wood pegs - no nails or screws!

Is this a "better" quality than most modern production ones? (looking it up I saw prices in the $1k's - $3k's!) Is this one that valuable?

Does this have any age or is it new?

Any info would be greatly appreciated - I'm hoping I hit a home run here!

FURNITURE CHINESE BOOKCASE 1AAres 1.JPG FURNITURE CHINESE BOOKCASE 2AAres 1.JPG FURNITURE CHINESE BOOKCASE 3AAres 1.JPG FURNITURE CHINESE BOOKCASE 4AAres 11.JPG FURNITURE CHINESE BOOKCASE 5AAres 1.JPG FURNITURE CHINESE BOOKCASE 6AARESIZED.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i'd check out that lions head marble pedestal ....... if nice and not chipped.....those can run 4 to 600 bucks...

Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think this is his house so he probably owns it ! Gorgeous set of shelves and a steal at that price ! I get a newer feeling,the finish throws me,but Im often wrong. Now about that alabaster (?) bowl being held by those 3 maidens on the left side of the pic...

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  4. komokwa

Hahahaha!!!!! You're likely right !!!!!
    He should open a 2nd hand store !!
    That lamp..I think...caught my eye too !!!!

as for the etagere.....well made, but looks kinda newer... still...a good price !

5. journeymagazine

Someone told me it was called Frankenart 3 maidens? But broken; the 3 maidens come off the (HEAVY!) base. Any value with it being broken?

I also got the pedestal with the...bookcase? display case? today - $40!

AA ART STATUE DECO 3 WOMEN 1AAA RESIZED.jpg AA ART STATUE DECO 3 WOMEN 1AA)AA RESIZED.jpg AA ART STATUE DECO 3 WOMEN 5AA RESIZED.jpg AA ART STATUE DECO 3 WOMEN 6AA RESIZED.jpg FURNITURE PEDESTAL MARBLE LIONS HEAD TALL 1AA.JPG FURNITURE PEDESTAL MARBLE LIONS HEAD TALL 2AA.JPG FURNITURE PEDESTAL MARBLE LIONS HEAD TALL 3AA.JPG

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I would call that more a plant stand than a pedestal, but all that means is that it's a pedestal for a potted plant.

Christmasjoy, kyratango and Bakersgma like this.
  7. journeymagazine

What do I call the display/bookcase?

Bronwen likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Well, display shelves/etegere would be good. Definitely would not work as a bookcase.

9. Bronwen

I'd go with etagere (étagère).

10. Bronwen

Scooped while I was getting the French. :)

11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Spell check isn't working for foreign words. ;)

Ghopper1924 and Bronwen like this.
  12. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

It's a beautiful piece of woodwork/cabinetry!! Although I can't remember if these have a specific name or not. I have seen them before, though. My sister-in-law's parents have one, I think. But not that big.

13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

For $75 for solid wood it would be hard to miss, and that thing's incredibly well done.

14. komokwa

scooped ya both............

" as for the etagere...."

15. Bronwen

I was meaning to agree with you. Typed & posted my message without seeing Bakers' first. We both agree with you. :)

16. komokwa

& I fully support your right to...!! Heehehehe!!!!!

17. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Journey, are some of the shelves glass? If so, is the glass very simply (poorly) cut and barely "finished" on the edges, or is it bevelled, or what? Also, do the glass pieces fit well?

I ask because I saw similar-looking Chinese pieces in a rather high-end, imported furniture store in the 1990's, and I was surprised to find that the glass shelves in them seemed so poorly finished, compared to the furniture itself. (The shelves seemed as if they'd been cut at a low-end glass shop...)

18. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Well since the 2 sides of the shelves are not the same, I think asymetrical describes it pretty well. I agree it is a beautiful display piece. The only thing that would make it better is if it had glass doors, because the way it is you have to dust the shelves & what is on the shelves. ;):p:p:p:rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D

JMO

Ghopper1924, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  19. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Peggy,
    To keep the dust out you would have to put a back on it also and then you would not have look that it was indented for. I would leave it alone and just remember to dust it at least once a week.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    greg

Ghopper1924, Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  20. journeymagazine

No glass ..everything is wood - not even nails!

Ghopper1924, Bronwen and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted